Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Deciding Whether CD/DVD Installation Issues Should Still Hold Up Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    Booting from USB is very tricky before UEFI. Some BIOS treats usb drive as hard drive, some treat its as floopy (iirc).
    UEFI makes things unified but also requires one more partition.

In addition to these, all macs use EFI 1.0, which becomes yet another corner case to deal with.
    Well, around 100% of live images use ISO (iso9660) format for disk images. So the machine probably assumes the USB key emulates a 650 MB CD.

Comment

Wow, this is stupid!
      Glad I'm not using Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Because apparently the only way to boot is to embed a small Fat32 partition with UEFI stuff in it. This is a much shorter tutorial https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ot-efiboot-img
        So... make the util do that for you? Will check that out, ty.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          Booting from USB is very tricky before UEFI. Some BIOS treats usb drive as hard drive, some treat its as floopy (iirc).
          That doesn't really require non-UEFI. Debian Installer will also confuse some of your pendrives with hard disks no probs. Love to figure such sh*t out.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            That doesn't really require non-UEFI. Debian Installer will also confuse some of your pendrives with hard disks no probs. Love to figure such sh*t out.
            Not sure what this means. A USB flash drive always shows up in the installer and you can install on it.

Comment

I can honestly say that I've never installed Linux from a thumb drive. I've only ever done it from CD/DVD. Maybe I'm just old school, it's the way I've always done it, since the later 1990's when distros switched from a stack of floppy disks to a CDROM image. And at work, our remote management consoles and hypervisor interfaces make mounting a virtual media ISO image a piece of cake. I'm not even sure if the infrastructure is capable of mounting virtual USB devices and booting from them, never saw a need to try that.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Some people above seem to not entirely comprehend they're NOT removing optical support, just reducing any show stopping bugs to irrelevant caused by this corner case in order to ship the whole project.
                That's an awfully rosy view you have there. Calling optical support a "corner case" just shows you don't understand the use cases involved or the user community. And I can point you to a dozen issues that have been demoted to irrelevance, and the result is always the same - bugs get flat out ignored going forwards. Bit rot via intentional neglect.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  I can honestly say that I've never installed Linux from a thumb drive.
                  Fun fact: installing from thumb drive still requires an ISO for most distros.

Comment

My issue is that a lot of people grab the ISO from a mirror site rather than the main download page. That makes it difficult to put up a warning that says "here is the ISO don't use it for DVD installs at this time". I would hate to see some one wipe their existing system and start a DVD install just to end up with a hosed system.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Fun fact: installing from thumb drive still requires an ISO for most distros.
                      Requires? I guess the choice originates from the fact that most distros had CD installers and now still want to support both methods. The ISO format supports a bit longer file names than FAT16. Maybe up to 30 characters? Other than that, if I understood correctly, the boot process is a bit of a mess, and modern systems totally skip the ISO part and either begin by directly reading the MBR boot sector or UEFI system partition.

Comment

Working...
                      X