Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Deciding Whether CD/DVD Installation Issues Should Still Hold Up Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mathew7
    replied
    But...but....that will break my multi-iso USB flash config, that uses grub loopback to load the kernel and initrd.
    Granted, xubuntu and ubuntu-mate are my usuals, but I don't want a new trend....eventually Canonical may follow.
    Plus, it's easier to md5sum/sha1sum a single iso to ensure it's still unaltered and Win8+ already can mount the image so you can just copy the files for an UEFI boot.
    PS: I don't have twitter, but the poll question is misleading....I don't use optical media per se, but I use it's packaging. I even have Zalmans VE300 and isostick for a literal-text answer of "no".

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by xorbe View Post
    I am confused. If the ISO is broken for DVDs, isn't the ISO also broken for using from a USB thumb drive?
    No. They work differently it's just certain magic allows a single image to be used for both.

Leave a comment:

• xorbe
    replied
    I am confused. If the ISO is broken for DVDs, isn't the ISO also broken for using from a USB thumb drive?

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Given that Fedora doesn't make 32bit images anymore, they probably shouldn't even care about CDs at all.

Leave a comment:

• zxy_thf
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    I still use DVD's for install for a few machines that I have that are pre-UEFI and do not have PXE or USB boot options. This happens so rarely that my portable DVD drive is covered in dust. But it does happen. I don't think it should be a deal breaker, because I could always use an older release and update.

Not sure why those machines can't boot a usb key but can boot on a dvd drive plugged into a usb port, but that's how they behave.
    Booting from USB is very tricky before UEFI. Some BIOS treats usb drive as hard drive, some treat its as floopy (iirc).
    UEFI makes things unified but also requires one more partition.

In addition to these, all macs use EFI 1.0, which becomes yet another corner case to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    I still use DVD's for install for a few machines that I have that are pre-UEFI and do not have PXE or USB boot options. This happens so rarely that my portable DVD drive is covered in dust. But it does happen. I don't think it should be a deal breaker, because I could always use an older release and update.

Not sure why those machines can't boot a usb key but can boot on a dvd drive plugged into a usb port, but that's how they behave.

Leave a comment:

• Fedora Deciding Whether CD/DVD Installation Issues Should Still Hold Up Releases

Phoronix: Fedora Deciding Whether CD/DVD Installation Issues Should Still Hold Up Releases

Fedora will continue producing ISO images of their distribution that can be installed to a DVD (or CD in the case of some lightweight spins) or more commonly these days copied to USB flash drives, but they are debating whether any CD/DVD optical media issues should still be considered blocker bugs in 2020 and beyond...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X