X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by d4ddi0 View Post
    I hope this wmi bug also fixed a similar acpi problem I'm having in my intel/nvidia based HP spectre x360!
    Please test with kernel 5.4.2. So far the known issue related to wmi is this line on boot
    Code:
    hp_wmi: query 0xd returned error 0x5
    At least the ACPI problem is gone and I notice a slight quicker boot process.

I was already waiting on 5.4 for an HP touchscreen bug I half fixed. (I submitted a fix for flooding of the dmesg buffer with errors, but not the underlying large usb report handling bug)
    Hopefully your issue get resolved mostly. So far, the touchscreen is okay aside an occasional hiccup with the stylus.

Leave a comment:

• d4ddi0
    replied
    Originally posted by finalzone View Post

I have same hardware 2018 HP ENVY x360 AMD Ryzen 5 2500U cp0xxx running on kernel 5.4.2 (Fedora 31) but on Gnome Shell default. No major issue so far. This kernel 5.4.2 resolves an outstanding issue affecting majority of HP laptops in addition of freezing issue when reading amdgpu id .
    Perhaps that particular kernel update you received did not have the fix from the linked kernel bug report.
    I hope this wmi bug also fixed a similar acpi problem I'm having in my intel/nvidia based HP spectre x360!
    I was already waiting on 5.4 for an HP touchscreen bug I half fixed. (I submitted a fix for flooding of the dmesg buffer with errors, but not the underlying large usb report handling bug)

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    My HP ENVY x360 with a AMD Ryzen 5 2500U is very unstable since the upgrade to Linux 5.4 (Arch Linux), cannot even use Plasma Wayland anymore without constant crashes and resets. Wonder if somebody experienced the same?
    I have same hardware 2018 HP ENVY x360 AMD Ryzen 5 2500U cp0xxx running on kernel 5.4.2 (Fedora 31) but on Gnome Shell default. No major issue so far. This kernel 5.4.2 resolves an outstanding issue affecting majority of HP laptops in addition of freezing issue when reading amdgpu id .
    Perhaps that particular kernel update you received did not have the fix from the linked kernel bug report.

Leave a comment:

• Neuro-Chef
    replied
    Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
    Why do people beta test for redhat for free?
    Because this Red Hat beta tends to run a lot more reliable than Canonicals stables!

And realistically it's not like you have that much of a choice between the dozens to hundreds of Linux distributions out there for desktop use if you want to
    • use recent hardware
    • use recent software
    • just install the OS and use your computer without hours of studying manuals
    • use your computer for other things than cleaning up the mess left behind from updates
    • have a reliable way of upgrading to newer distri releases (if not a rolling release)
    If you don't care about 1) and 2), use CentOS if Gnome is your thing or Debian for other DEs.

Anyhow, the famous GNU/Linux Distributions Timeline indicates that the few well known big ones tend to still exist some years later, while the probability for that lowers with every derived branch taken from there: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...n_Timeline.svg

Besides, its obvious that tiny teams of volunteers simply don't have the manpower needed to ensure a high quality and good user experience over time.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    The life you save may be your own.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    why do people betatest for canonical for free?

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    My HP ENVY x360 with a AMD Ryzen 5 2500U is very unstable since the upgrade to Linux 5.4 (Arch Linux), cannot even use Plasma Wayland anymore without constant crashes and resets. Wonder if somebody experienced the same?
    I am running an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X system with plasma and I have some thing similar. It started about 6-9 months ago. I know it was related to a kernel release because once it started I went back and tried the release before and had no issues. I also dual boot this box to Centos8 and don't have the issues there. It has been a bear to diagnose as the box just hard locks before it can write to the logs and you can't access any thing. It has been getting better of late but it is a case of gets better then gets worse but the trend is towards better.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Because they're providing it for free.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

With new major software releases, however come new major bugs, so it's not just a win-win situation - more like a lottery where either your bugs get resolved and you're happy, or for another user, new bugs are introduced and he's unhappy.

Couple that with the fact that Fedora doesn't support the rollback to previous packages versions (expect the ones published at the time of a new release) - it all gets quite nasty.
    I think where Fedora draws the line is a good compromise. Desktop applications, the kernel and graphics stack get updates after long periods of QA, but most vital things are frozen outside of minor releases.

Plus, things like the kernel and graphics stack are important to update mid-release because of new hardware and things like games. I think Ubuntu's model of freezing outside of LTS releases causes more problems.

There's Fedora Silverblue if you're interested in pain-free, effortless and instant rollbacks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X