Debian Developers Take To Voting Over Init System Diversity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
    I think this poll is flawed and unless all except the first options are combined in final decision, it seems to be constructed in a way to make 'systemd only' option prevail yet silence those who wanted diversity by 'hey, we gave you a chance'.
    Essentially there are just two options:
    - 'fascism'
    - 'freedom'
    And 'freedom' option, if selected by majority, should be followed by separate poll regarding the actual preferred approach.

(I'm not arguing against systemd here, for Debian the best is probably to stick with systemd, there are distributions that provide better freedom and less excluding environment for developers and sysadmins)
    You appear to be hinting at the claim that in order for "systemd" to win, it will need just a plurality against all other options, not a majority?

I'm going to ignore that obvious trolling attempt with "fascism" and "freedom" and just say that Debian general resolutions use ranked voting via the Schulze method, and as such, if enough people rank "systemd" as their lowest preferred option (i. e. place all "diversity" options, in any order, above "systemd"), then it won't matter if "systemd" gets the plurality.
    Last edited by intelfx; 07 December 2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Next to that will be :
      Choice 1:F Focus in Chome Browser
      Bye Browsers Freedom
      imbecile, when was last time you were required by law to add and maintain support for several obscure and broken browsers in your package?

Comment

In my Opinion Debian should advance the Idea of a Standard API to treat Services..
        it already does. systemd api is published

Comment

You are not so important to me, to waist my time proving something to you that you can sort by yourself!
          why do you waste everyone's time with your silly comments instead of proving systemd superiority by yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
            I think this poll is flawed and unless all except the first options are combined in final decision, it seems to be constructed in a way to make 'systemd only' option prevail yet silence those who wanted diversity by 'hey, we gave you a chance'.
            i think that thinking is not your strongest skill

Comment

I had no issues till now while using SystemD. It worked perfectly and the fact that it is really supported is a huge plus for me. I also found lots of documentation for it when I needed it the most.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Choice 9: Focus on systemd and leave the rest to Devuan
                I agree. Debian should stop pretending that they haven't majorly dropped the ball and finally let Devuan build up a community and take over.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  finally let Devuan build up a community and take over.
                  lol, did debian had some law preventing devuan from building up a community? community of 1.5 imbeciles can't do much

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    lol, did debian had some law preventing devuan from building up a community? community of 1.5 imbeciles can't do much
                    Yep, in the same way that Ubuntu is in the way of Debian's community. If amateurs don't know any better, they go straight for Ubuntu rather than "the less corporately influenced" Debian. The same will happen for Devuan... all it has to do is wait for systemd's naive design to inevitably fail.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 07 December 2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      Yep, in the same way that Ubuntu is in the way of Debian's community. If amateurs don't know any better, they go straight for Ubuntu rather than "the less corporately influenced" Debian. The same will happen for Devuan.
                      the same will happen for devuan only after devuan becomes free cdrom mailing shop and spends hundreds millions of dollars. looks like impossible task for 1.5 imbeciles. no, actually that's not enough. free cdrom mailing shop still has no resources to fork init system and has to closely follow debian upstream
                      Last edited by pal666; 07 December 2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X