Fedora 32 Might Disallow Empty Passwords For Local Users By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is not a novelty that Xorg has security problems,
    Then why are you saying you need proof to say Linux is not safe?
    Why does Wayland exist!
    I never said that Linux is 100% secure, looking for something 100% secure? I don't think you will find it and you should know it given the work you do. I just said that it is not possible to compare such different operating systems.
    Yes, privacy and security are different things, this does not mean that one is more important than the other, but they are two different things. To protect the / home can encrypt it or you can only encrypt the data to be kept confidential and you should know this too.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      Why does Wayland exist!
      How many distros use Wayland by default. How many people can use Wayland without missing some feature or Xorg stability or compatibility with NVIDIA drivers or something. Web browsers are starting to become Wayland native applications only now.

For most users it's just not ready yet, the average distro is still using Xorg, also Wayland is just a part of a larger system, if there is no sandboxing having Wayland does not improve the security by much, therefore the average Linux Desktop RIGHT NOW is not really secure.

It will NOT do that well if pitted against Windows-levels of malware development.

I never said that Linux is 100% secure
      No, you didn't. When someone said Linux isn't safer than Windows you didn't believe him and said you need to provide proof, I provided proof. You don't like reality? Not my problem.

looking for something 100% secure?
      Don't shift goalposts please, that's not my point. I'm just showing that it is comparable to Windows in its current situation.

To protect the / home can encrypt it or you can only encrypt the data to be kept confidential and you should know this too.
      This does not protect from malware that leaks your data in any way, shape or form. Malware is running when the system is up, and if the system is up they have access just as the user has.
      Partition encryption protects against Evil Maid attacks (which are kind of unlikely imho) and keeps your data secure if someone just steals the laptop whole (a normal laptop thief, nothing fancy) and then rummages through its memory in search of a quick buck (in addition to the laptop's own resell value on ebay).

To protect against malware you need sandboxing, which is what is done on servers by running the service with a different user that has no privileges and no shell access, and on a desktop system has to be done with something like firejail.

For the sake of beating a dead horse, on Android this sanboxing is the norm and it is pretty strict. Applications can't read other application's data, nor do more than a whitelisted list of actions, period. Some folders like downloads and music and whatnot are free for all, but apart from that it's all locked down. Even if an application is compromised by a malware attack or downright malicious it won't read anything it shouldn't be able to.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 December 2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X