No announcement yet.

Fedora 32 Might Disallow Empty Passwords For Local Users By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder Linux has a less than 1% market share with stupid decision in the name of security!
    How about letting the user choose what he / she wants and stop assuming that the user is an idiot ?
    I intentionally put a very short and weak passord because I'm tired to fucking write it 100 times a day as Linux distro ask for it for even the most basic things.
    Being asked for the password in a virtual machine is even more insane!
    The whole Linux security model is really screwed up and these security enhancement that just annoy the user makes it even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      No wonder Linux has a less than 1% market share with stupid decision in the name of security!
      How about letting the user choose what he / she wants and stop assuming that the user is an idiot ?
      I intentionally put a very short and weak passord because I'm tired to fucking write it 100 times a day as Linux distro ask for it for even the most basic things.
      The whole Linux security model is really screwed up and these security enhancement that just annoy the user makes it even worse.
      Honestly most of modern computing is presuming users are idiots and doing things for them.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        You can do a password and set up automatic login, in any distro, if that's what you desire. Then the actual use of the computer is the exact same thing.
        Not exactly. The password is needed for sudo and for pkexec.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Honestly most of modern computing is presuming users are idiots and doing things for them.
          It's not presuming users are idiots. Automating things, that is doing things for people, is the exact reason why computers exist at the first place.

If Linux has a 1% market share on the desktop, its not because of this. It's because 99% of the community still can't wrap their heads around the fact that people install an OS because they want to use it to do some productive work, play, watch movies etc. No-one installs an OS to be a sysadmin at home or to have to worry about trivialities such as how precisely is the default password set up.

Comment

Soooo..you don't use Windows either then and it's got less than 1% market share too? Windows certainly won't let you set a empty password. What is this magical OS that has the other 98% of the desktop market share? Ugh..no, a VM should have the same security profile as anything running on bare metal.

If your Linux box is constantly prompting you for passwords then you're doing it wrong. I get prompted when I use 'sudo' and when I login, once for my login password, and once for my GPG password. That's it and I run exclusively Linux on stock Arch packages for my desktop needs. So, nothing crazy or specially configured. I think outside my sources list there are 2 or 3 files I've edited outside of my home and none of them have to do with passwords or password prompts.

Comment

Password requirements always get in my way, because if a distro isn't Arch, there's a 99% chance it will be installed in a VM where I want a simple password scheme that I don't need to commit to memory, something like user name and password being identical for every user. Having to remember a throwaway one, reconfigure system and run passwd is just a hassle for me. If you have an installer, just provide hardening settings, and some preset for those that want their system hardened, it's not necessary in every case.

Comment

... and it is not surprising that users who use the most famous OS are infected with viruses and format often!
                Between the two, I prefer to stay in the minority ... I not only set a user password in addition to the root password, but I also set a password to protect my password in the wallet and despite everything I am still alive and with the computer I also have to work .
                If people looked a little more at safety and less at performance, even the web would be a better place!

Comment

Linux is not an OS, it's a kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post
                    Soooo..you don't use Windows either then and it's got less than 1% market share too? Windows certainly won't let you set a empty password.
                    You can set empty password in Windows. Does not mean you are running as Administrator, as to do that it will still prompt you to confirm elevation of privilege.

Comment

WTF are you talking about, most distros allow to set an empty password.

Add your user to the relevant groups to give it permission to do specific actions without needing to escalate to root privilege every time

For example I added my user to the group tty so I don't need root permission to use a serial dongle.

Really, don't be a fucking noob and then blame Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X