Fedora 32 Might Disallow Empty Passwords For Local Users By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 32 Might Disallow Empty Passwords For Local Users By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 32 Might Disallow Empty Passwords For Local Users By Default

Currently Fedora Linux supports empty passwords for local users by default but that could change with next year's Fedora 32 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I fail to see the security value, since regular low-info home users don't use Fedora.

Comment

It doesn't make much difference. You can do a password and set up automatic login, in any distro, if that's what you desire. Then the actual use of the computer is the exact same thing.

Comment

Can still auto login. The swipe screen after resume is more ridiculous.
        Last edited by ix900; 26 November 2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
          Can still auto login. The swipe screen after resume is more ridiculous.
          There is no need to swipe FYI, you can just start typing your password and it will work just fine

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

There is no need to swipe FYI, you can just start typing your password and it will work just fine
            Sorry, the context of that was auto login. Still has a swipe screen with auto login after resume. Wasn't sure at the time how I wanted to word it lol.

But you did give me the idea of trying enter key or something. Wonder if that works instead of using the mouse.

Comment

I appreciate the care that the proposal authors are taking to try to insure that one cannot shoot oneself in one's foot by insuring one can not set an empty password after it is disallowed, but I have to wonder exactly how many (home) linux users set (or would try to set) an empty password? That just seems so wrong that almost everyone should get it (we likely all know of very bad passwords being used, but that is different than a completely empty password).

Comment

I wasn't aware there were any distros that allowed empty passwords. But, I don't see the point in limiting this. If you're choosing to not have a password when prompted to create one, you either know what you're doing or you're an idiot and deserve whatever happens to you.

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                It doesn't make much difference. You can do a password and set up automatic login, in any distro, if that's what you desire. Then the actual use of the computer is the exact same thing.
                It makes some difference if you want that user to do any administrative tasks. Though really at that point, you might as well just log in as root.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I wasn't aware there were any distros that allowed empty passwords. But, I don't see the point in limiting this. If you're choosing to not have a password when prompted to create one, you either know what you're doing or you're an idiot and deserve whatever happens to you.

It makes some difference if you want that user to do any administrative tasks. Though really at that point, you might as well just log in as root.
                  All of them do. (if they are normal not screwed up versions) Unix allows not setting a password in the passwd file.. it can be disabled with pam tho.

Assuming this is what they intend.. it's not much of a news flash. :: Fedora changes default pam config! Story at 11 ::

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    All of them do. (if they are normal not screwed up versions) Unix allows not setting a password in the passwd file.. it can be disabled with pam tho.

Assuming this is what they intend.. it's not much of a news flash. :: Fedora changes default pam config! Story at 11 ::
                    I don't remember which distro it was, but I do recall a time where I was was using a temporary password and it complained about it being too short.

Comment

Working...
                    X