Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Fedora Users Concerned GNOME Software Promotes Proprietary Software With Flathub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They better fix their web browsers to support videos on YouTube and Netflix. It works on Ubuntu, but on Fedora some codecs were missing on YouTube.

Comment

This is stupid, you can clearly see when you go to Flathub.org there is proprietary software there and you're adding it as a source, GNOME Software is doing what you told it to do.

If you're going to have this attitude, remove snapd from the Fedora repositories, otherwise this is reeking of hypocrisy when there's literally a package in the Fedora repos that actively promotes proprietary software (dnf doesn't warn you either). As a comparison Flathub isn't in the Fedora repos because it enables proprietary software.

Comment

Promoting proprietary software is irresponsible and risky for the users.
        I think it would be easier for everyone if they at least would highlight proprietary software with a red color and open source one with a green color and add some tooltips to explain why.

Comment

"Some" community members "expressed concern" that non-Free third-party software can be made available when the owner of the machine goes out of their way to enable a source that makes such software available. Nothing is going to be done about it.

Must be a desperately slow news day to post a headline that effectively says "things are working as designed and there is someone on the internet who is dissatisfied".

Comment

This right here is why Linux barely registers as a blip on the desktop; the idiotic ideology is idiotic.

Like most liberal, commie, hippie douches, these people are incapable of having a rational thought. People are supposed to go to school, spend their time and money studying and getting a degree, so that they can then turn around and give away the product they produce for free.

It's the same stupid shit with those that want free education, free medical care, free willy; teachers and doctors are supposed to work for free, despite spending years studying, because reasons.

But I guarantee you that if someone told these people that want free software, free education, free medical care that they would not be getting a paycheck this week they would have a fit.

Comment

I am absolutely OK to use certain commercial software packages that aren't open source as these are far superior to the open source equivalents to aid me on my day job. For instance, certain Jetbrains IDEs.

I'm thankful also for all the open source stack that allows me to deliver software. And the fact I can use one to deliver the other.

The world is a nicer place when you don't have to deal with unwanted proselytism.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                So if you enable a proprietary software repository, sometimes proprietary software is displayed in the software center?

Working as designed, user error.
                Or in nerd speak: PEBKAC.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  Everyone has an opinion but fails to remember or care that Fedora by default installs no proprietary software and has no access to such software without adding extra repositories.
                  And you fail to remember that Flathub isn't enabled by default on Fedora, so your whole post is moot.

Comment

Users know better what best for their needs. Thinking Linux users are tech savvy enough to make the difference between open source software and closed source counterparts if they can choose. Be often can be some cases when user can't choose and only option is proprietary.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      On the ethical level, I think it is important for free software to provide convenient free graphical user interface software, which is why the GNU Project launched three projects to develop that. The third, GNOME, was successful, so we never needed a fourth one.
                      I am pretty sure that if Gnome starts suggesting any non-free software in its tools; RMS might finally try to start up a much needed 4th desktop environment
                      From the King of Swamp Castle:

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.
                      I propose SCDE since their third one is about to burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp.

Comment

Working...
                      X