Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Fedora Users Concerned GNOME Software Promotes Proprietary Software With Flathub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Fedora Users Concerned GNOME Software Promotes Proprietary Software With Flathub

Phoronix: Some Fedora Users Concerned GNOME Software Promotes Proprietary Software With Flathub

The Fedora Workstation working group has been weighing the matter of the GNOME Software "app store" recommending/promoting proprietary software. But this isn't something that is done out-of-the-box but rather when activating Flathub where Flatpaks can be installed for both open and closed-source software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Promoting blobs is really a shoot in the foot. I can't understand

Comment

Oh woe is those poor freedom fighters, how dare that evil proprietary software invade their safe space by simply showing a logo.

Like, who cares, just don't install it. Why do people obsessed with free software have to throw a tantrum at the mere echo of something that isn't GPLv3'd.

Comment

seems strange/odd if this is the case for Fedora Legal to allow this to happen .

Comment

So if you enable a proprietary software repository, sometimes proprietary software is displayed in the software center?

Working as designed, user error.
          Last edited by Templar82; 25 November 2019, 08:21 PM.

Comment

From RMS's personal page: https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

On the ethical level, I think it is important for free software to provide convenient free graphical user interface software, which is why the GNU Project launched three projects to develop that. The third, GNOME, was successful, so we never needed a fourth one.
            I am pretty sure that if Gnome starts suggesting any non-free software in its tools; RMS might finally try to start up a much needed 4th desktop environment

Comment

Frankly I don't see the problem here. For each package available on Flathub you can scroll down to check the licence and if you are a FOSS purist, which is perfectly fine, simply don't install the non-free ones. Personally I find flathub better than the snap store in that regard, because not only is the proportion of non-free software much higher in snap, many of their packages have their licences unspecified or indicated wrongly.

Comment

Yawn seriously. Want to attract new users to Linux or not? Plenty of people around the use services such as Spotify. They will want such things to run period. Isn't the app sand boxed ? Does Gnome advertising dollars that the can use to further development?
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                  Yawn seriously. Want to attract new users to Linux or not? Plenty of people around the use services such as Spotify. They will want such things to run period. Isn't the app sand boxed ? Does Gnome advertising dollars that the can use to further development?
                  As I see it, the complaint is about recommending proprietary apps, not offering them.

Comment

Sounds like they need to be able to filter by license. Add that abiility to Flathub and Gnome Software then just turn it on

Comment

Working...
                    X