Devuan 2.1 Released - Still Delivering Debian 9 Without Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    So far Devuan has been spitting venom at Debian but at the same time they were just taking a free ride thanks to the fact that most Debian packages still support init scripts. Now with the upcoming vote, if Debian chooses to go the systemd route all the way, Devuan will need to start doing some actual hard work if they want to survive - that is, if those l33t and superior VUAs are capable of it.
    They could be like Artix and pull an init script from anywhere you can find one.

Comment

I didn't mean mailing list, actually.. However, they're full of bullshit.
      Last edited by Volta; 25 November 2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        So far Devuan has been spitting venom at Debian but at the same time they were just taking a free ride thanks to the fact that most Debian packages still support init scripts. Now with the upcoming vote, if Debian chooses to go the systemd route all the way, Devuan will need to start doing some actual hard work if they want to survive - that is, if those l33t and superior VUAs are capable of it.
        OMG you mean instead of stealing init scripts from Debian they are going to : gasp : have to start to steal them from Gentoo/TrueOS/Alpine/(inset other OpenRC distro here)???

The horror.. I wonder if they are up to the challenge.

Comment

Your link is some silly rant of a posting that proves nothing because it's so overfilled with garbage.

Comment

Good. Proud of Devuan.

Comment

I do not see much systemd hate here, but a lot of non-systemd hate.
              Maybe some people who complain of systemd haters should to think about their own non-systemd hate.
              There have already been a lot of discussion of why systemd is bad. People who do not want systemd know why they do not want it. Gentoo, which is a reference when it comes to distributions for advanced users, refused to default to systemd, but they still support it has an option. That is init freedom. (for Devuan, there is no point of supporting systemd since Debian already supports it)

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

OMG you mean instead of stealing init scripts from Debian they are going to : gasp : have to start to steal them from Gentoo/TrueOS/Alpine/(inset other OpenRC distro here)???

It's not stealing, this is FOSS so they have every right to reuse whichever scripts they want. BUT: init scripts are notoriously not trivially portable between distros (that's one reason, albeit not the only one, for adopting systemd), and while thus far they could just pull in Debian packages and call it a day, now they will have to actually modify them, test them, maintain them, support them etc. themselves.

Will this lot be up to the challenge? I'm really having some doubts. Remember that their claim was that Debian was TOO user friendly, their VUA manifesto states that an OS should be all about DIY sticky tape, they take bizarre pride in NOT writing any documentation and at the same time they whine that systemd, being implemented in C, is beyond their mental capacity. So no, I'm not holding my breath as to whether they will be able to achieve anything at all if Debian decides to cut the umbilical cord.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  9Strike Take a +1. Hopefully Debian votes for systemd only.
                  For once I agree with you

Comment

I love Linux because of the freedom it provides to do what you want to do and it's friendly open community...

oh wait.. it's 2019. lol well I guess *that* is out the window now..

Hello FreeBSD.
                    so how many init systems and kernels freebsd supports, clown?

Comment

no, he means that instead of removing some packages from debian they will need to also add init scripts to packages where they are missing
                      well, they were 3 years late on much simpler task, now what's your guess, 10 years?

Comment

Working...
                      X