Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan 2.1 Released - Still Delivering Debian 9 Without Systemd

Phoronix: Devuan 2.1 Released - Still Delivering Debian 9 Without Systemd

Devuan 2.1 is available as the latest release of this spin of Debian GNU/Linux that works without a dependence on systemd. Devuan 2.1 remains focused on "init freedom" though this new release is still tracking the older Debian 9 "Stretch" branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this obsolete garbage tries to take away our freedom to run systemd debian

Comment

They got their build infrastructure back up after deleting it because of a terrible Aprils Fools day joke?

If you're a business, don't ever rely on this distro. Their lack of ability to have reasonable discussions around systemd is matched by their lack of ability to run a distro properly.

And that's after holocaust denial got posted on their mailing lists.
      Last edited by Britoid; 25 November 2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        And that's after holocaust denial got posted on their mailing lists.
        Is this some kind of dogmat? I've never seen any proofs.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          this obsolete garbage tries to take away our freedom to run systemd debian
          Well I see it like this: people who genuinely hate systemd but still want Debian can use Devuan instead of spamming the Debian mailing list and blocking the Debian Devs from doing some real work - so I'm quite happy that it exists. Just hoping that the Debian Devs vote to focus on systemd. Keep the init packages maintained if you want, but don't force maintainers of other packages to support them. That's Devuans task.

Comment

I love Linux because of the freedom it provides to do what you want to do and it's friendly open community...

oh wait.. it's 2019. lol well I guess *that* is out the window now..

Hello FreeBSD.

Comment

I got nothing against projects like Devuan, but I hope that perhaps people can tone down the "Debian is outdated" nonsense now that Devuan exists as a slightly outdated Debian. And in all honesty , Devuan deserves it space - outdated software is not necessarily a problem depending on your use case!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Is this some kind of dogmat? I've never seen any proofs.

Comment

My favorite respin to get Devuan Beowulf (similar to Debian 10 Buster) up running quickly and stably is Exe GNU/Linux: http://exegnulinux.net/
                  The distro's Beowulf ISO download page is here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/exe...s/iso/testing/

For those of you who live in mortal fear of a blobless Linux-libre kernel: this distro does use one - so you'll probably have to install Beowulf the hard way.

Comment

So far Devuan has been spitting venom at Debian but at the same time they were just taking a free ride thanks to the fact that most Debian packages still support init scripts. Now with the upcoming vote, if Debian chooses to go the systemd route all the way, Devuan will need to start doing some actual hard work if they want to survive - that is, if those l33t and superior VUAs are capable of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X