POWER9 Blackbird Performance On Ubuntu 19.04 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWER9 Blackbird Performance On Ubuntu 19.04 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 Benchmarks

Phoronix: POWER9 Blackbird Performance On Ubuntu 19.04 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 Benchmarks

We have done a lot of benchmarks on Intel/AMD x86_64 for Ubuntu 19.10 for seeing how its performance is looking, but what about IBM POWER9 with the likes of the libre Raptor Blackbird? Here are some Ubuntu 19.04 vs. 19.10 POWER benchmarks I recently carried out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the benchmarks. It would be nice to see some more price / performance benchmarks compared with AMD and Intel. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...pyc-xeon&num=1

Comment

Hi Michael, it looks from my limited understanding like there were 4 mitigations active. Is there a way to test it with all mitigations off?

Also it would be interesting to see results from the latest patched 4.19 LTS kernel, as it recently beat out newer kernels in generic x86 testing.

Comment

This jumped out at me:
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        --with-cpu=power8
        Does either release support --with-cpu=power9? Maybe it doesn't offer much benefit, but why not?

Comment

Did you already perform a benchmark between different OS on the power9 ? I would be interested to see how fedora, redhat or debian behave compared to Ubuntu ...

Comment

Originally posted by kieffer View Post
            Did you already perform a benchmark between different OS on the power9 ? I would be interested to see how fedora, redhat or debian behave compared to Ubuntu ...
            It was held up when uncovering a bug on openSUSE Tumbleweed that thrashed the system and required reflashing the firmware and such after Raptor investigated and found it to be a Petitboot issue with opensuse. Haven't checked or heard if openSUSE (and any other distros) are addressed for it yet.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Great to know there are some issues when going outside tracks. I am currently investigating the usage of debian10 on our AC922 from IBM and found it working in a similar way to Ubuntu 18.04.

Comment

Working...
              X