Debian Adds Another Option For Its Init System Diversity General Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I just meant the more simplistic init scripts, like what Android..
    The Android init system is terrible, archaic, stupid and overdue to be replaced by something better.

<< manages Android builds for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I thought most distros were forked these days because someone didn't like another distros theme or desktop configuration?

It's a bad idea to convert RPMs to debs and vice versa, RPMs also support a large amount of functionality not present in debs. You've also got different package names, file locations etc.
      I suppose a lot of those exist as well. But I was referring to Devuan, Artix, and stuff like the GNU/GPL forks of distributions. You know, one's forked for more than "pacman -S plasma && pacman -R gnome".

That was the point -- that they all do things differently than one another; and in all the years of Linux, there still isn't an aio package management system, tool, or converter or whatever. Init systems are the same -- they all accomplish the same task, but they do it differently and, like package management, possibly differently enough that conversion from one to another isn't very feasible for an automated conversion tool.

Comment

Michael

Would it be possible to get buttons like "Cancel", "Preview", & "Post Reply" have for the "Edit", "Quote", "Flag", and "Like" buttons?

Once or twice a day I tend to accidentally click Flag on a post I meant to either Like or Quote

I have decent enough GIMP skills if that's something that's a pull request away somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post

No, I wouldn't. Not ever. I'd leave first. And I'd expect the same out of any functional adult.

If I worked in a democratically-governed FOSS project
          What a load of shit... you realise any company can come along and strong arm your "democratically governed project". And all your years of work as well as respect for your opinion and experience for and with that project are up in smoke.

We aren't talking about some piddly project that can just be forked and move on, its a massive deal for another company to force a hostile injection of software that nobody wanted.
          Last edited by cb88; 20 November 2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

that's fine, but people who do this can't expect companies (like Firefox) to bend over backwards to support uncommon setups.
            It isn't an uncommon setup... it is THE SETUP for the past 20 years. That is trivial to maintain but it got ripped out because reasons.

Comment

Michael

Would it be possible to get buttons like "Cancel", "Preview", & "Post Reply" have for the "Edit", "Quote", "Flag", and "Like" buttons?

Once or twice a day I tend to accidentally click Flag on a post I meant to either Like or Quote

I have decent enough GIMP skills if that's something that's a pull request away somewhere.
              Unfortunately this is vBulletin powering the forums and not PHXCMS that powers the main site, etc. So unfortunately not as easy to customize short of creating modules.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I suppose a lot of those exist as well. But I was referring to Devuan, Artix, and stuff like the GNU/GPL forks of distributions. You know, one's forked for more than "pacman -S plasma && pacman -R gnome".

That was the point -- that they all do things differently than one another; and in all the years of Linux, there still isn't an aio package management system, tool, or converter or whatever. Init systems are the same -- they all accomplish the same task, but they do it differently and, like package management, possibly differently enough that conversion from one to another isn't very feasible for an automated conversion tool.
                There is PackageKit, but it's a buggy mess, because it tries to abstract over all the package systems. It's primarily one of the reasons GNOME Software is in such a bad state.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

It isn't an uncommon setup... it is THE SETUP for the past 20 years. That is trivial to maintain but it got ripped out because reasons.
                  The same logic you could say Windows XP is a common setup and we should support it.

Times change, technology changes. Unless you yourself are maintaining support for old methods, you can't complain.

Comment

I just meant the more simplistic init scripts, like what Android and OpenRC use, are trivial enough since most of them can be dumbloaded via something like "EXECSTART=sh /some/dir/*" or via a script that does the same thing (which shouldn't be too hard to get in the correct order since most are named in order of how they're loaded with 00_start and 99_end and crap like that).
                    Oh right... yeah, that's kind of how most distros initially migrated — using systemd to run the old scripts, so that the replacement of scripts with unit files could be done more gradually.

Comment

The same logic you could say Windows XP is a common setup and we should support it.

Times change, technology changes. Unless you yourself are maintaining support for old methods, you can't complain.
                      No that is completely wrong. It's more akin to jackd being ported to Windows 10, Firefox going ooggle-eyed over it and supporting only Jackd for audio from now own even though windows provides it's own API. I mean it isn't even like Audio is *that hard*.

Also ALSA hasn't changed there is virtually no maintenance burden in support it and it is still *the* Linux Audio API TODAY.

Some would make arguments that ALSA is less secure than pulseaudio, however which do you trust more the kernel API or a buggy library that does nothing but start flamewars. If anything pulseaudio will eventually end up being an attack vector much like OpenSSL.
                      Last edited by cb88; 20 November 2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X