Debian Adds Another Option For Its Init System Diversity General Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    Well wouldn't you do everything you could to stop some crap for brains from your main competitor (RedHat) from taking over large aspects of how your distro functions?
    your brains are really full of crap if you think that systemd is from your competitor. compiler toolchain, which is used by debian, is more from its competitor than systemd, moron. as is linux kernel
    Last edited by pal666; 22 November 2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

That's the problem with the idea, yeah... it only works with the lowest common denominator. If the only thing your systemd unit does is start and stop processes, it'll probably work. But if it's doing anything even remotely complicated, you're going to end up with lots of special cases... e.g. anything doing socket activation won't work that as an init script, etc.
      well, in theory they can reimplement systemd in (very complicated) shell script, as long as it can access all systemcalls which systemd uses. maybe make it python or perl script.

Comment

It isn't an uncommon setup... it is THE SETUP for the past 20 years. That is trivial to maintain but it got ripped out because reasons.
        nobody is taking your 20 year old setup from you. you can use it forever. new software uses new setup though and you can't tell its developers that they have to support your old setup for free. want new software - switch to new setup. want old setup - stay with old software. it's really that simple

Comment

Pulseaudio is exactly like jackd... it all it does is provide a wrapper over ALSA, so every person using pulseaudio on Linux is still using ALSA.
          just like mesa... all it does is provide wrapper over drm, so every person using (hardware driver of) mesa on linux is still using drm. so what?
          Pulseaufio doesnt implement any driver at all innuserpsace it merely controls ALSA. Very poorly I might add....
          lol, just like mesa doesn't implement any driver at all in userspace it merely controls drm
          Firefox developers are often politically motivated ...they broke ALSA to promote yet another shitty audio layer instead of just fixing the code.
          are you off your meds?
          btw, don't you think that firefox by extension doesn't implement anything in userspace and merely controls kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by desktorp View Post
            Why are you so obsessed with shielding shitty programmers from criticism?
            i've never shielded you from criticism

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
              we're well down the road to having all the flexibility of a Windows system.
              and all its market share?
              The Windows services model it copies IS better than init is, in almost every way.
              it copies macos, you failed from the start
              But each release has more regressions than it has features of any value to me
              why would anyone care? are you systemd's customer?
              ; and the developers are more interested in landgrabbing than they are in producing functional software.
              feel free to show them how to do it better
              The attempt to take over all of userspace, with NIH versions of things that are just ridiculously defective and unready (systemd-resolved, as one example) annoy the hell out of me.
              i'm using systemd-resolved and i don't care what random internet morons think about it

Comment

the 666 stands for how many shitposts you make in a row

Comment

i feel your pain

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it copies macos, you failed from the start
                    orly? :P

Dear Clueless Newbie,

MacOS was released in 2001. Windows NT, which introduced the current services model, predates it by several years.

ggez ownedkthxbai, to communicate on a level you can understand.

Comment

orly? :P

Dear Clueless Newbie,

MacOS was released in 2001. Windows NT, which introduced the current services model, predates it by several years.

ggez ownedkthxbai, to communicate on a level you can understand.
                      True, and if systemd worked similarly to this or even was an exactly clone of launchd... *nobody* would care. But instead it is this snowball of software that just keeps growing and engulfing more and more software to impose how it should be done and this makes things inflexible and annoying to deal with. Rather than just doing one job well...

Systemd is often praised for enabling various use cases... however it would have been much better if a separate tool had be made to enable those use cases based on the either the old init scripts or something more flexible like launchd just being good at what it does and stopping there.

It's kind of like one of my math teachers told us... nobody does the Laplace transform for a living, by the same token nobody should be spending thier entire time developing an init system, if you are then you have developed something inherently broken and unmaintainable.

I've also done myself a favor and blocked pal666... nobody needs that BS in thier life.

Comment

Working...
                      X