X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Then you haven't seen 144Hz's posts. He keeps calling GNOME "upstream" and the rest of desktops "downstreams".
    He talks way too positively about GNOME and Red Hat.
    Every time GNOME is mentioned, he automatically early birds the thread up.
    And when we disturb his fanboy-ism, he goes "y'all are off-topic" on us.
    I can't speak for 144Hz's general behaviour as I haven't been paying attention to it, however his initial comment is technically correct. The GNOME team are the source of the GNOME desktop environment. It's common in Open Source to refer to them as "upstream" (just like Firefox & Linux are both upstream).

Debian are "downstream" from GNOME, Firefox and Linux. Any improvements made to those 3 pieces of software from their source (upstream) float down the river towards Debian (downstream) where Debian can benefit from them. Ubuntu is based and continually re-based off of Debian, so they are further still downstream. If Debian applies patches (to fix/improve) GNOME, Firefox or Linux then Ubuntu can benefit from those patches also.

Like 144Hz, I too like it when companies like Canonical go to the effort of doing work on the upstream source software so that not only do they (Canonical) benefit from it (when their upstream work eventually reaches them downstream), but all the other downstream receivers benefit too (which includes other distros and ultimately the end users of the distros).

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Leeo97one View Post
    What the fuck is wrong with this community...
    I don't see any kind of propaganda here.
    Then you haven't seen 144Hz's posts. He keeps calling GNOME "upstream" and the rest of desktops "downstreams".
    He talks way too positively about GNOME and Red Hat.
    Every time GNOME is mentioned, he automatically early birds the thread up.
    And when we disturb his fanboy-ism, he goes "y'all are off-topic" on us.

Leave a comment:

• trek
    replied
    this thread is really dumb, four pages full of accusations and rants, good work trolls!

Leave a comment:

• Leeo97one
    replied
    What the fuck is wrong with this community...
    I don't see any kind of propaganda here.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    starshipeleven tildearrow Vistaus Gnome-shell is mentioned in the news article -> On-topic. Please stop your off-topic gossips.
    And you please stop turning every thread into a pro-GNOME propaganda garbage!

Leave a comment:

• LightBit
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I have lost count of how many times I had to deal with stupidity in their package manager or dependencies, and it required manual intervention calling dpkg with arcane commandline options. Some times it even tried to delete my GUI

I migrated to OpenSUSE years ago, only systems left on Debian are some hacked Kirkwood-SoC NAS devices where I cannot run OpenSUSE.
    My main complain about package manager is its speed (really slow).
    OpenSUSE has great and fast package management, but it is lacking packages. I had to resort to user packages for basic stuff. I never tried full system upgrade on OpenSUSE.
    OpenSUSE would probably be my second choice or maybe Fedora (but I hate SELinux).
    I quite liked Arch Linux, but it requires a bit more time and since the removed installer I'm really not interested in installing with retyping commands from manual.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Vistaus First of all it IS a big deal. Maintaining software is hard and under appreciated.

Second. If you don’t want discuss maintenance hardship, then move on. It really is tiresome to see off-topic commenters trying to pick a fight. Won’t happen.
    The one starting the offtopic here is you, please don't blame everyone telling you are offtopic

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by LightBit View Post
    Well I have tried many Linux distributions and Debian is the most reliable, universal, has many packages, and is easy to upgrade. It never really broke on my computers (not even sid). It is really easy to maintain without reinstalling every half year, but it is boring.
    I have lost count of how many times I had to deal with stupidity in their package manager or dependencies, and it required manual intervention calling dpkg with arcane commandline options. Some times it even tried to delete my GUI

I migrated to OpenSUSE years ago, only systems left on Debian are some hacked Kirkwood-SoC NAS devices where I cannot run OpenSUSE.

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    Something which still doesn't work is the GUI installer if you use both BIOS boot AND own an AMD APU. (Ryzen 2200G here) Got to go text installer AND choose install vga=0 to get a readable screen for install.
    Last edited by George99; 17 November 2019, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    starshipeleven tildearrow Vistaus Gnome-shell is mentioned in the news article -> On-topic. Please stop your off-topic gossips.
    Just because there's a small reference doesn't mean you need to make a big deal out of it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X