No announcement yet.

Debian 10.2 Released With The Latest Security Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, right when I completed re-bootstrapping debian 10.1 on emdedded and somesuch. "And we are back to square one".

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      starshipeleven You are off-topic. Again.
      That's only your fault

Comment

starshipeleven tildearrow Vistaus Gnome-shell is mentioned in the news article -> On-topic. Please stop your off-topic gossips.
        fanboyism is offtopic

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
          What is Flatpak?

Debian "works" that is why people are installing it these days.
          Also Windows "works".

Comment

Debian is just like Ubuntu in the old days : stable, lightweight, just works. Ubuntu has become extremely heavy these days, much like MIcrosoft Windows. Debian has not shifted from its original spirit. If you install BPO packages you get most of the latest packages anyway.

Comment

starshipeleven You are responsible for your own actions. Future off-topic comments from you will be ignored.
              Sadly we can't ignore your fanboi bullshit as easily as you ignore everyone that tells you to stop.

Comment

This post is interesting:

Originally posted by ThoreauHD

I've noticed many more people are installing Debian these days, and I have no idea what's driving them to do so, because they are technical morons.

Not helpful, when no driver is included because it's "non-free". So literally nothing works except one atheros wifi chip from a decade ago. It's quite annoying.

I'm wondering where the Debian publicity is coming from, because these morons are bugs splattering on a windshield, and everyone else is forced to clean up the mess. There needs to be better disclosure about Debian's hardware support out of the box.
                ... it's the kind of post that can be the catalyst for a fight.

I think it's a healthy practise to try and stay "meta" when reading on tech forums. IE stay at least one level above the playing field of the combative commenters and my own mind & emotions. This allows me to more easily notice when someone is setting up strawmen, trolling or using the subject matter purely as a delivery mechanism for their true payload: an emotional or aggressive outburst / attack. Had the person in the comment above simply gave their opinion / preference, it would not create the playing field for a fight. However they opted to insult people with a different opinion / preference to themselves, thus likely putting some readers into a defensive stance.

I notice this same pattern over and over on many forums:
                1. Someone attacks THING or attacks the people that like or identify with THING.
                2. People who like or identify with THING feel insulted and have an internal impulse to defend themselves.
                3. BEGIN FIGHT! [THING ATTACKER] Vs. [THING DEFENDER]!
                4. Energy is lost.
                5. Happy vibes turn to sad vibes.
                I was one of those people (feeling insulted) for a time, but at some point I noticed I was unnecessarily identifying with THINGS that are not me. Now, if I get an emotional response to something bad written about a THING or even about something bad written directly about users of said THING, my first instinct is meta: I observe the playing field and my thoughts & emotions and wonder what I have unwisely identified with (e.g. am I personally identified with being a "Debian user"?! Would it not be better to just enjoy using Debian as opposed to seeing Debian as being a part of what actually makes me?). This dis-identification process removes the impulse to defend myself and the fight (internal or external) never happens; no energy is lost and any happy emotional state I was previously experiencing is preserved.

Takes practise to go meta like that, but eventually it becomes automatic and forums become much more pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Also Windows "works".
                  Not for me.
                  it simply breaks itself with forced updates.
                  Last edited by LightBit; 17 November 2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                    Not for me.
                    it simply breaks itself with forced updates.
                    Debian is pretty capable of breaking itself with updates too, they are just not forced.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Debian is pretty capable of breaking itself with updates too, they are just not forced.
                      Well I have tried many Linux distributions and Debian is the most reliable, universal, has many packages, and is easy to upgrade. It never really broke on my computers (not even sid). It is really easy to maintain without reinstalling every half year, but it is boring.
                      Last edited by LightBit; 17 November 2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X