Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenWrt 19.07 RC Offers WPA3 Configuration Support, All Targets On Same Kernel Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenWrt 19.07 RC Offers WPA3 Configuration Support, All Targets On Same Kernel Version

Phoronix: OpenWrt 19.07 RC Offers WPA3 Configuration Support, All Targets On Same Kernel Version

OpenWrt 19.07 is on the way as the next feature release to this router/network focused Linux distribution that remains quite popular with hobbyists...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Any recommendations for newish hardware to run openWrt?
    To vague and you better ask in the OpenWrt forum, it depends in your use case, budget and how important wireless speed/reliability is. The main problem is missing/good opensource driver support for certain wireless modules. So all devices that can use the ath9k driver (ath79) will have a much better WiFi connection, ipq40xx platforms also have good WiFi drivers. On the other hand the Marvell WiFi modules suffer from a lot of issues that will probably never be fully solved, since the last real change in this driver family was 2018.
    Last edited by andy22; 15 November 2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure why they don't just call it 20.0 rather than 19.7 (which was its original target release)

Comment

andy22
        Use case: Wifi serving a family.
        Budget: Unlimited.
        Reliability: Yes please.
        Turris Omnia (if you want to use it as NAS or have other services running on it)

On a Budget the most stable targets are ipq40xx/ath79 devices:
        https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapsh...ath79/generic/
        https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapsh...q40xx/generic/

So stuff like the Zyxel NBG6617, Fritzbox 4040 or Archer C6.

PS: Keep in mind you want at least a 16/32 MB flash and 128/256 RAM device.
        Last edited by andy22; 15 November 2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

andy22

Use case: Wifi serving a family.
          Budget: Unlimited.
          Reliability: Yes please.
          Edgerouter X(-SFP )and Unifi AP AC range is support well. I have both a Edgerouter X and a AP AC Lite and they run very nicely

Comment

Doesn't exactly qualify as 'new' I guess, by I've had good results with OpenWRT on my TP-Link Archer C7 (mine is a v4 revision).

Comment

Any idea what the pre-reqs are for WPS3? I have a Netgear D7800, which uses the ath10k driver. Do I need to install a package? Or is the fact that only WPS2 and lower listed mean it isn't supported on my router

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                Any idea what the pre-reqs are for WPS3?
                As with much else, it depends, but WPA3 capability should be mostly (in theory) software (firmware for solutions that call their embedded software firmware) upgradeable (the improvements are during things such as handshake setup, which is not done in the chip hardware itself but the software/firmware), however officially advertising WPA3 compliance requires certification, and pretty much no vendor is going to go back and go through the certification process for older generation devices (a cost with no revenue), but will do so moving forward with new(er) devices. The open source community, on the other hand, does not care about (nor willing to pay for) actual certification, so will just reference interoperability. Note that WPA3 can end up being more computationally complex, so some older/slower devices may not be able to do it well (or at all), or support fewer users.
                Last edited by CommunityMember; 15 November 2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

https://www.gl-inet.com/ ships with custom openwrt and upstreams to openwrt so they have official images for many models. They also have some of the cheapest models on the market and are often bundled with VPN service packages.

Comment

I replaced my old OpenWrt router with a Fritz!Box 4040... the network download speed is much better, but I do have some trouble to get it stable. OpenWrt with IPv6 can disconnect/crash on certain LAN network traffic.

Comment

Working...
                    X