Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenWrt 19.07 RC Offers WPA3 Configuration Support, All Targets On Same Kernel Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Any idea what the pre-reqs are for WPS3?
    As with much else, it depends, but WPA3 capability should be mostly (in theory) software (firmware for solutions that call their embedded software firmware) upgradeable (the improvements are during things such as handshake setup, which is not done in the chip hardware itself but the software/firmware), however officially advertising WPA3 compliance requires certification, and pretty much no vendor is going to go back and go through the certification process for older generation devices (a cost with no revenue), but will do so moving forward with new(er) devices. The open source community, on the other hand, does not care about (nor willing to pay for) actual certification, so will just reference interoperability. Note that WPA3 can end up being more computationally complex, so some older/slower devices may not be able to do it well (or at all), or support fewer users.
    Last edited by CommunityMember; 11-15-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Any recommendations for newish hardware to run openWrt?
      https://www.gl-inet.com/ ships with custom openwrt and upstreams to openwrt so they have official images for many models. They also have some of the cheapest models on the market and are often bundled with VPN service packages.

Comment

I replaced my old OpenWrt router with a Fritz!Box 4040... the network download speed is much better, but I do have some trouble to get it stable. OpenWrt with IPv6 can disconnect/crash on certain LAN network traffic.

Comment

Funny enough they are so obsessed on that "single kernel for everything" thing so once my HW destabilized after update I just had nowhere to go - previous release as well as testing uses same kernel. So the only option was to go back to ancient release. That also uses considerably less RAM.

Comment

does it have a web UI?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
              does it have a web UI?
              https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/...uci.essentials

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                does it have a web UI?
                Yes by default, you only need to install luci on snapshots yourself.

Comment

Would have been nice if stubby for DNS over HTTPS would have been integrated :-) This is the package I always install manually.

Comment

How does work the ASUS RT-AC51U with OpenWrt? Is a good option? It's a very cheap option : )

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                      Would have been nice if stubby for DNS over HTTPS would have been integrated :-) This is the package I always install manually.
                      it's there in GL.inet routers (and it's also enabled by a GUI setting)

Comment

Working...
                      X