Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Continuing To Work On Python 2 Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Most of those rev deps are python2 packages, not really required once you get rid of Python 2. You should seriously consider git instead of mercurial and bzr.
    I have to assume those were pulled in for building some AUR packages or via some IDE with cruddy version control dependencies. Those are the only reasons those ever get installed on my systems.

AsuMagic The package pahole-git should be rebuilt. It depends on python3 now (and has since at least May according to the AUR page).

How long do you go without rebuilding git based AUR packages? Over six months isn't good practice to get into.

Comment

inkscape and solaar is the only thing I use that need python2. Solaar is easy to just ignore but inkscape is worse. Is there any other reasonably good vector software to replace it?

Comment

Most of those rev deps are python2 packages, not really required once you get rid of Python 2. You should seriously consider git instead of mercurial and bzr.
        There's WIP for mercurial. starting from mercurial 5 you can
        Code:
        HGPYTHON3=1 pip3 install --user mercurial
        to get the python3 version. works ok for my very limited use.

Comment

Originally posted by Isedonde View Post

Well, calibre, bleachbit etc. will be glad to hear that! :-)
          BleachBit has already been ported to Python 3 and Gtk 3. So nice try.
          Last edited by Vistaus; 11 November 2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
            Meanwhile on arch...
            Code:
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by apitrace
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by asciidoc
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by bzr
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by gconf
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by lib32-apitrace
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by libkate
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by libvolk
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by mercurial
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by pahole-git
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-appdirs
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-asn1crypto
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-attrs
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-cairo
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-click
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-constantly
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-dbus
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-enum34
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-gobject2
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-idna
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-ipaddress
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-jedi
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-numpy
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-parso
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-ply
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-pyopenssl
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-pyparsing
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-six
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-wxpython3
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-xdg
            :: removing python2 breaks dependency 'python2' required by python2-zope-interface
            One day hopefully.
            You do realize that almost all of those libraries have had Python 3 ports for a long time now? So no need to keep the Python 2 ones around unless you use them for coding still.

Comment

On my laptop the list included bzr but I don't use that so I had to check:
              Code:
              :: removing bzr breaks dependency 'bzr' required by flatpak-builder
              So I guess he also probably didn't use it himself but some other package required it.

Some Python 2 depedencies are from mythtv on my laptop. Apparently I had installed playonlinux which required wxpython, removed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                You do realize that almost all of those libraries have had Python 3 ports for a long time now? So no need to keep the Python 2 ones around unless you use them for coding still.
                Pretty sure they are in the list because some other software needed them.

On my laptop biggest culprits are gimp, inkscape, flatpak-builder (bzr) and mythtv.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                  inkscape and solaar is the only thing I use that need python2. Solaar is easy to just ignore but inkscape is worse. Is there any other reasonably good vector software to replace it?
                  The next version of inkscape is already ported to Python3. It is available on debian experimental (beta version).

So you'll probably be fine.

Comment

I'm just a student but why is end of life for a language a bad thing? People still code in C99 and Fortran and Cobol. Just because the language is old doesn't mean you can't write software for that standard right? Its not like say WIndows XP where security vulnerabilities exist that don't get patched anymore. It is just a programing language. What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Pretty sure they are in the list because some other software needed them.
                      It also shows some on that list on my laptop, but I safely removed them now and everything is still running fine and stable: no other software was depended on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X