Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Trident Offers Initial Images Of Itself Reborn As A Void-Based Linux Distro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main advantage of void is that it is easier to run on restricted chroot environments because it doesn't depends on systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I don't understand why you think that not caring about Void makes Distrowatch any less useless as a metric.
      How about pay attention to the discussion before you butt in? skeevy420 mentioned how people's interpretation of Distrowatch is often affected by their biases toward a distro. I don't care if Void is popular or not (I don't care how popular any distro is) and therefore am not referencing Distrowatch with a bias. I directed to Distrowatch because despite what you think, it does say something about the amount of people who care about a distro, which Charlie68 wanted to know. Being accurate isn't relevant, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't asking for exact numbers.
      Whether you feel Distrowatch is useless as a metric doesn't invalidate the reason why I specified I don't care about Void's success.
      Might as well licked your finger and put it out of the window to feel how strong the breeze was to determine how popular Void is.
      Might as well take your opinions and throw them out the window to determine how much you think you've contributed toward this discussion.
      Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
      So is yours, as well as your use of memes.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 November 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Not really sure their motivation for this.. Trident was supposed to be the continuation / evolution of PCBSD. TrueOS is ok, it's a decent thing and I like a lot of what they are doing. I also think a Linux distro without the GNU bits would be pretty cool tho.. musl, clang, bsd userland. good things. GNL/Linux? lol

Will they change the name? Trident is a reference to Beastie.
        Last edited by k1e0x; 08 November 2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

A few of the advantages of Void Linux
          • not using [very] controversial and proprietary systemd, but runit as init system
          • do not use rpm or deb package file format, it use xbps and also
          • not a fork of Ubuntu or arch but an independent distribution

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
            A few of the advantages of Void Linux
            • not using [very] controversial and proprietary systemd, but runit as init system
            • do not use rpm or deb package file format, it use xbps and also
            • not a fork of Ubuntu or arch but an independent distribution

systemd is neither "very" controversial or proprietary. some people decided to have a hissy fit because they'd prefer their system get booted by unreliable and unportable shell scripts, but they're the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

systemd is neither "very" controversial or proprietary. some people decided to have a hissy fit because they'd prefer their system get booted by unreliable and unportable shell scripts, but they're the minority.
              systemd is not portable either. It has also proven to be unreliable which certainly contributes to the controversy.

In fact, Void linux is using runit because systemd is non portable even on linux.
              Last edited by dreich; 08 November 2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

The only controversy is the willing ignorance to understand systemd is a free and open source system manager for the Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by dreich View Post
                  In fact, Void linux is using runit because systemd is non portable even on linux.
                  What? Why runit? Didn't they just finish porting FreeBSD's init scripts over to OpenRC?

I actually really liked everything they were doing.. FreeBSD rolling, libressl, zfs, openrc.. This change... doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. and it's not April 1st so.. idk. I don't really mind the kernel change all that much.. But the rest of it.. hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    The only controversy is the willing ignorance to understand systemd is a free and open source system manager for the Linux kernel.
                    I see that SystemD is a free and open source --init-system-- system manager for the Linux kernel.. It also sucks. I don't use it.
                    Google Chrome is a web browser made by Gooogle. Popular but It sucks too. I don't use it.
                    Explorer is a file manager made by Microsoft for Windows all three of them suck hard but some ppl think they like it..

We good? Is it ok to like something else?
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 08 November 2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      I am fairly interested in what the most used distros are. It seems very difficult to get good data on this. I am predicting based on my general feel of the community that it is something like:

1) Ubuntu
                      2) Debian
                      3) Arch
                      4) Fedora

It would be very interesting to get a quick poll based on a more technical / power user community such as Phoronix. I predict that Ubuntu possibly will not be on the top spot.

Lets quickly run a poll. Yes I know the data will be a bit biased due to it being inside a thread about Trident/Void but even so...

https://linkto.run/p/VIOWN8DD
                      If we unscientifically combine the DW top 10 page hits and what Steam reports are their top used distributions are, the top 3 are Ubuntu LTS, Ubuntu, and Manjaro. We have to expand DW page hits to their top 20 to add Arch before Manjaro. Those four are all that Steam reports so, yeah, hard to use their numbers.

What I think is a bit better one to go off of is the DW number of reviews:

Code:
                      Rank     Distribution     Rating
                      1     Manjaro Linux     8.47
                      2     MX Linux     8.91
                      3     Linux Mint     8.71
                      4     Debian     8.62
                      5     deepin     8.92
                      6     Ubuntu     7.55
                      7     Solus     8.59
                      8     Fedora     8.46
                      9     openSUSE     8.81
                      10     Arch Linux     9.35
                      11     Devuan GNU+Linux     9.1
                      12     Zorin OS     8.07
                      13     Antergos     8.15
                      14     KDE neon     9.05
                      15     elementary OS     8.02
                      16     Peppermint OS     8.98
                      17     PCLinuxOS     8.84
                      18     Ubuntu MATE     9.02
                      19     Lubuntu     8.58
                      20     Kubuntu     8.99
                      Page hits are one thing. Using a distribution and then giving a damn enough to go back to Distrowatch to give it a review really shows its popularity. Quite frankly, the top 11 are what most random Phoronix users discussing Linux distributions on any random thread will talk about. What I also find interesting is how it's a really nice mix of desktop environments and package managers used.

Gotta give Devuan some credit for pulling in that many reviews with such a high average rating that fast. That really says something about them.

Michael

Using Distrowatch's past 7 days....I'm pretty sure you made MidnightBSD really trend

Code:
                      Rank     Distribution     HPD*
                      1     MX Linux     4421>
                      2     Manjaro     2491>
                      3     Mint     2389<
                      4     Debian     1628>
                      5     Ubuntu     1509>
                      6     Fedora     1295<
                      7     elementary     1256>
                      8     Solus     1166<
                      [B]9     MidnightBSD     1144>[/B]
                      10     KaOS     957<