Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1 Released With Kernel Live-Patching Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1 Released With Kernel Live-Patching Support

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1 Released With Kernel Live-Patching Support

Red Hat this morning announced the release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1, the first update to RHEL8 since its general availability in May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I did the update in the morning but now with some problems to get the installed Virtualbox guest drivers back to work. So far I'm stuck with 640x480 VGA...

Comment

It be kinda cool if CentOS inherited it somewhat, are Red Hat's patches open source?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        It be kinda cool if CentOS inherited it somewhat, are Red Hat's patches open source?
        Legally by what the GPLv2 permits them to do? Yes. Available on a hosted site for download by the anonymous public or in https://git.centos.org? No. To have access to these patches you need to be a subscriber (includes no-cost developer edition). From there you can see all available kpatches and download the prebuilt RPMs, or the the SRPMs which include the .patch files as well as the source RPM for the kernel the patches are applied to and a tarball of kpatch used to build it. You can also download the source RPMs through yum/dnf.

The same applies to their normal kernel patches, those are available in the source RPMs or on the RHCB (Red Hat Code Browser). The CentOS git includes them pre-applied.

It would be interesting to see if future RHEL 8 patches end up in git, though. There aren't any available yet. Could be a question to ask on https://bugzilla.redhat.com.

Cheers,
        Mike
        Last edited by mroche; 05 November 2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

virt-manager has been deprecated
          The Virtual Machine Manager application, also known as virt-manager, has been deprecated. The RHEL 8 web console, also known as Cockpit, is intended to become its replacement in a subsequent release. It is, therefore, recommended that you use the web console for managing virtualization in a GUI. Note, however, that some features available in virt-manager may not be yet available the RHEL 8 web console.
          Are they kidding me? Replacing a stable desktop application with a crappy webapp, that does not even work with their other products, like IdM?

Comment

I don't want a WebApp replacing virt-manager... no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post

Are they kidding me? Replacing a stable desktop application with a crappy webapp, that does not even work with their other products, like IdM?
              Cockpit isn't crappy.

Comment

Deprecating virt-manager? Really? That's a truly terrible news...
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Cockpit isn't crappy.
                  Something that wants you to manage several machines via single webservice, where you add individual nodes and fails doing so if you use another Redhat product, like IPA (it won't delegate your credentials, you have to enter your password or ssh key into the application!) is not ready.

Something, where the web feature fails even if the process behind succeeds, is definitely not even beta. For example, it cannot even find, download and install updates, that yum is telling me are there.

When for most work I have to go back to terminal and finish my task there.

Time and time again, I try cockpit and see, that they still didn't fix the bug they had several months ago. I, in my optimism, always try a few months later, with identical results.

That in my book counts as crappy.

Look, Microsoft is going the same direction, Server Manager is HTML + remoting based since Windows 2012. I understand Redhat wants to go the same way. But the usability and certain baseline of usefulness has to be there, too. If it slows you down and adds you work, it gets binned into the crappy bin.

Then there is a specific of vm manager - for configuring and controlling VMs, web app is fine. For a console access, it is not. Just look at VMware, they tried that too. Local console in a web browser is too unreliable and high latency, it is no match to native SPICE client. No, Gnome Boxes is not a substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post
                    To have access to these patches you need to be a subscriber (includes no-cost developer edition). From there you can see all available kpatches and download the prebuilt RPMs, or the the SRPMs which include the .patch files as well as the source RPM for the kernel the patches are applied to and a tarball of kpatch used to build it.
                    By the way, RedHat started providing kpatch-patch packages for RHEL 7 as well, a couple months ago or even earlier (e.g.: https://access.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2019:2865). Such kpatches were only available per customers' requests before.

Originally posted by mroche
                    It would be interesting to see if future RHEL 8 patches end up in git, though.
                    Indeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X