Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 31 Performance Is Still Sliding In The Wrong Direction - Benchmarks Against Ubuntu 19.10 + Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

The title was fair. Fedora 31 did not manage to win a single test, in a competition against its own past versions where it should have had some standout moments. It's definitely a regression of some sort.
    That doesnt explain the "STILL". Unless there were also benchmarks for Fedora 29 present, which showed it beating Fedora 30. Regression is different from "further regression".

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
    Michael,
    Could you please throw the last Manjaro into the mix ? It is a big boy distro now. Gives people stable/less efforts alternative to maintaining arch by hand. Throw vanilla arch into the mix. I am curious as to where Arch or arch-based stand. Arch is closest to upstream so that is another insight to gain.
    It's October 31st, not April 1st.

Manjaro is a joke.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post

I can't find it on any random mirror server either. It seems only "server netinstall" is available for now.
    Try https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fed...ng/x86_64/iso/

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    Am I the only one that found the headline to be overplaying things/too clickbaity?
    The title was fair. Fedora 31 did not manage to win a single test, in a competition against its own past versions where it should have had some standout moments. It's definitely a regression of some sort.

Leave a comment:

• sarfarazahmad
    replied
    Michael,
    Could you please throw the last Manjaro into the mix ? It is a big boy distro now. Gives people stable/less efforts alternative to maintaining arch by hand. Throw vanilla arch into the mix. I am curious as to where Arch or arch-based stand. Arch is closest to upstream so that is another insight to gain.

Leave a comment:

• r_a_trip
    replied
    Originally posted by You- View Post
    Am I the only one that found the headline to be overplaying things/too clickbaity?

Still going wrong way? The benchmarks are only for Fedora 30 and 31. It does not show that it is a continuance of a past trend.

Secondly, in most benchmarks the results are close and in many Fedora is beating Ubuntu.

The displayed results dont reflect the headline.
    No, you are not the only one. I didn't see these "The sky is falling" results in the benchmarks either. So yeah. Some are a bit slower, but regressing? It is all so close to Ubuntu, that I'm wondering what the hubbub is really about.

I'm not even considering Clear Linux. I see that as a showcase. A niche distro, not a workhorse.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Anyone else getting a 404 Not Found when clicking to download the workstation netinstall image from the main Fedora download page?
    Yes. I browsed two different mirrors and couldn't find it.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied

Still going wrong way? The benchmarks are only for Fedora 30 and 31. It does not show that it is a continuance of a past trend.

Secondly, in most benchmarks the results are close and in many Fedora is beating Ubuntu.

The displayed results dont reflect the headline.

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    Anyone else getting a 404 Not Found when clicking to download the workstation netinstall image from the main Fedora download page?
    I can't find it on any random mirror server either. It seems only "server netinstall" is available for now.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Blame Fedora's insane super-secure compilation flags:

CFLAGS='-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'

LDFLAGS='-Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,now -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld'

Leave a comment:

Working...
X