Fedora 31 Released For This Innovative Linux Distribution Supported By Red Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Looks like Linux nowadays requires an expensive hi-dpi monitor just because Gnome developers have an itch for removing major features without offering any working alternative. WTF is wrong with you?? And do you really expect Linux to become an alternative to other mainstream desktop OSes while you continuously degrade and maim user experience? OMFG. If this is not extreme hubris, I don't know what that is.

• Khaled Hosny @khaledh · 2 months ago
      Developer

If non-bitmap fonts are destroying my sight, then I’d fork some cash and get myself a high-dpi screen not whine here about people not doing work for me. I do value my eye sight after all.
    Maybe you could go back to Windows instead of acting like you're paying for the development of Linux's DE or their infrastructure, and as if the devs have to stand any of your demands and dumb insults.
    Last edited by Aeder; 29 October 2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      Been using F31 Silverblue for a few weeks now and it's a much welcome upgrade. I wish Fedora would target more generic desktop users rather than developers because it has the makeup of a perfect desktop distro.

Up to date software (including drivers & kernel), keeps and pushes upstream (themes, package hacks, downstream patches), effortless and risk free updates with Silverblue, no creeping commercialization, a competent infrastructure and a giant behind it, so it isn't going anywhere soon.
      That's certainly a direction we're looking at going in the medium to long term. But Silverblue isn't really ready to be just shoved out in front of a mass audience yet. It works great for some people already, especially if you understand and appreciate what it's trying to do and how it works, but we think it needs a bit more work before we'd be confident just pointing people at it and saying "here, if you want a general-purpose desktop Fedora, grab this".

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
        🎉 Now, by default, we can't alt-tab to Firefox https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/2112
        That's not really what that bug means - what it means is, if you used 'alt-tab' to *switch away* from Firefox and you then use the scroll wheel over the Firefox window while it's still inactive, Firefox will go back or forward a page, not scroll through the current page as you (probably) wanted.

It's a very annoying bug, but we wouldn't block the F31 release on it, not least because it's not new in F31 - it's been happening since at least F30. (edit: actually since F29, though you are more *likely* to encounter it on F31 because Firefox on Wayland is now the default, I guess).
        Last edited by AdamW; 29 October 2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

Maybe you could go back to Windows instead of acting like you're paying for the development of Linux's DE or their infrastructure, and as if the devs have to stand any of your demands and dumb insults.
          I will ignore this inane comment. Actually it's not just inane, its overall output is negative. But then it's not the first time open source fanatics on Phoronix try to express their worthless opinion. Not a single line of code, not a single contribution to any open source project, nothing - just inane imbecilic comments. I'm gonna giggle a little.

Oh, I've been using Linux probably for longer than you've been alive but who cares? And my primary OS for the past 20+ years has been Linux but who cares? And it's been RedHat and then Fedora but who cares? Trolls are so pathetic.
          Last edited by birdie; 29 October 2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I will ignore this inane comment.
            ... then continues with a couple of paragraphs of /r/iamverysmart material.

Sure thing, pal ;-)

Comment

Try removing pango (dnf remove pango) from your system and tell me how it works.
              Next time before writing an inane comment, you could maybe use your brain a little.
              Sorry, my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
                Sorry, my bad.
                I was a little bit too harsh too. Sorry.

Comment

I will ignore this inane comment. .
                  Oh, so you don't even know what "ignore" means huh? It certainly doesn't involve replying to me or quoting me.

Actually it's not just inane, its overall output is negative. But then it's not the first time open source fanatics on Phoronix try to express their worthless opinion. Not a single line of code, not a single contribution to any open source project, nothing - just inane imbecilic comments. I'm gonna giggle a little.
                  Good to know my comment and the entirety of your post history have something in common.

Oh, I've been using Linux probably for longer than you've been alive but who cares? And my primary OS for the past 20+ years has been Linux but who cares? And it's been RedHat and then Fedora but who cares? Trolls are so pathetic
                  So your 'argument' is: "I've been using this product for years without paying a cent for its development which totally gives me the right to insult its developers when they don't prioritize MY NEEDS and attack other people who point out I keep acting like a shitstain"

Go back to Windows. That way you can yell at Microsoft all you want when they fuck up. Assuming you paid for it first though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post
                    So your 'argument' is: "I've been using this product for years without paying a cent for its development which totally gives me the right to insult its developers when they don't prioritize MY NEEDS and attack other people who point out I keep acting like a shitstain"

Go back to Windows. That way you can yell at Microsoft all you want when they fuck up. Assuming you paid for it first though.
                    How do you know who has and hasn't forked out cash to Redhat over the years? A lot of us have paid good money to Redhat over the past 25 years and gotten burned pretty badly when the company just randomly decided to change the terms of service without notice. Some of us, me for instance, refuse to have anything to do with the company or its community lab rat distros because of this, even though they would seem to otherwise put out solid distros.

Next time you decide to build one of your arguments, might want to leave out the part where you accuse people of being worthless freeloaders. Because it's likely to be completely untrue.

Edit - And I'll note - SuSE has always been totally solid in their commitments in my experience. There's definitely a right way and a wrong way to do business with free software customers.
                    Last edited by andyprough; 30 October 2019, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I still don't understand the global support for GNOME. Seriously, the exciting features are recovery of performance loss that should never have existed, to the cost of getting more and more plugins relying on hobbyist run out-dated. I find the UI so impractical (full screen to find an app, lack of tray icons, and intuitive defaults), in a way that I fail to find a reason because of so much backing. I tried to like it by 3 months but failed to do so, and each release something new also breaks. Guess I'll have to go for an unofficial spin.

Comment

Working...
                      X