Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" Formally Opens For Development

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" Formally Opens For Development

The Ubuntu 20.04 cycle is now officially underway. Following the recent release of Ubuntu 19.10, the "Focal" archive has been created and back to syncing against the latest Debian unstable packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice to see the next stable base for KDE Neon

Comment

Zfs is a nice addition. It'll allow some bsd nas OS migrations over time.

Comment

What about the snaps situation?

Is cannonical still bent on force-feeding us snaps?

Comment

Originally posted by gorgone View Post
          nice to see the next stable base for KDE Neon
          I like the way you think

Comment

F**king Frog would have been a better codename

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
              What about the snaps situation?

Is cannonical still bent on force-feeding us snaps?
              If you want to use the default setup, then you will use the software that's used by default. Snapd is part of that, ready for use if you choose to. Personally, I like it very much, but if you consider that force-feeding, then I really don't think you should want to use a mainstream OS to begin with, but rather compose your own user experience from scratch. Mahjongg is also part of the default install, but I've never felt that it was force-fed exactly.

Comment

Many default installed software became (and still becoming) default installed snap application. A few 3rd party applications are only available as snap applications. Some applications require extra work/time to install in a classic way.

Yes, I am quite feeling like I am force fed to use snap either directly by canonical or in-directly by canonical. I am not surprised you don’t feel like it because you like it very much. I am surprised that you like it very much though

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

If you want to use the default setup, then you will use the software that's used by default. Snapd is part of that, ready for use if you choose to. Personally, I like it very much, but if you consider that force-feeding, then I really don't think you should want to use a mainstream OS to begin with, but rather compose your own user experience from scratch. Mahjongg is also part of the default install, but I've never felt that it was force-fed exactly.

Comment

Working...
                X