Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Cooke Steps Down As Canonical's Ubuntu Desktop Director

Phoronix: Will Cooke Steps Down As Canonical's Ubuntu Desktop Director

With Ubuntu 19.10 having successfully shipped last week and the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS cycle just getting off the ground, longtime Ubuntu Desktop Director Will Cooke announced he is leaving Canonical...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ving-Canonical

The Rats leaving the sinking Ship

Everthing what Microsoft touches will die.

I uninstalled my kubuntu and installed Debian in my Desktop.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

Remember If You make Business With The enemy of opensource/FLOSS You will become The enemy yourself.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Interesting, he’s handing it off to Martin Wimpress, one of the main guys behind Ubuntu MATE. I wonder what this means for Ubuntu MATE. Will he still have time to maintain it?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        The Rats leaving the sinking Ship

Everthing what Microsoft touches will die.

I uninstalled my kubuntu and installed Debian in my Desktop.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

Remember If You make Business With The enemy of opensource/FLOSS You will become The enemy yourself.
        Not sure what you're talking about. Ubuntu has lately been more stable and polished than it ever was.

Comment

A big thank you to Will Cooke. Good job on reuniting desktop linux.

Comment

Deakto Ubuntu has never been better and the move back to gnome was for the greater good. Snaps will be transormative. He leaves with a good resume and in my case a grateful user.

Comment

Will him continue to be a guest on the Late Nigh Linux Show? 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                Will him continue to be a guest on the Late Nigh Linux Show? 🤔
                Yeah, he Will Cook up a few stories for you.

Comment

Will Cooke must have a hard time getting out of preparing dinner.

Wimpy is a fine choice of replacement.

Ubuntu is back better than ever!

Comment

I do not share the enthusiasm or the catastrophism. Ubuntu is no longer very interested in the desktop and this is evidenced by the unspoken by Mark S., who regardless of the Desktop Director is the one who makes the important decisions. In practice nothing will change, as nothing changed when Will Cooke arrived.
                    At the limit they will take an important person out of the Mate project, which does not have many developers, if I were a Mate user I would not be so happy.
                    I don't think Ubuntu is better than ever, I don't get this impression when I go to the Ubuntu forums, some Canonical choices to install the default packages snap, are turning up their noses at many, as well as the inability to have Chromium (no snap) in the repositories. I do not seem to see users so satisfied, so much so that many have now passed into other distributions.

Comment

Working...
                    X