Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arch Linux's Pacman 5.2 Released - Drops Support For Delta Packages, Adds Zstd Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zsync and Arch signed packages should be used.

Comment

Good, I'll be able to finally stop running pacman from git just for zstd.

P.S.
      Code:
      COMPRESSZST=(zstd -c -z -q -T0 --adapt=min=7,max=19 -)
      You're welcome

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why not fix the security hole (if it has chance) instead of dropping the feature then? That's like if I were to demolish my house if it was dirty.
        This feature was not really used by anybody, and/as the implementation did not bring the expected benefits. The security hole was just the nail in the coffin. Otherwise the feature would've just bit-rotted lying in the grass.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          zsync and Arch signed packages should be used.
          casync...

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

casync...
            AFAIK casync is the wrong tool for the job requiring an extra protocol (vs http) for 0 benefit to pacman (vs zsync).
            Ubuntu still uses zsync because casync is only optimized for local docker operations.
            Ubuntu (and opensuse) also offer aria2 (metalink/meta4) which has some nice mirror handling, and verification features.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
              Imo bad news. For example Delta RPM still is used in Fedora and works like charms
              problem with DeltaRPMS it take longer to rebuild to make a deltaRPM + more Bandwidth . plus its just as quicker to download the whole thing like Redhat Linux used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Good, I'll be able to finally stop running pacman from git just for zstd.

P.S.
                Code:
                COMPRESSZST=(zstd -c -z -q -T0 --adapt=min=7,max=19 -)
                You're welcome
                I'm lazy, care to breakdown the flags and values so I don't have to look them up?

What's the env var that you're assigning it to used by? Pacman 5.2 zstd support?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

To me,

Best distro for developers - Fedora
                  Best distro for tinkerers - Arch
                  Best distro for servers - CentOS/RHEL
                  Best distro for iot, random things etc - Debian
                  Best distro for desktop - I don't think there really is one.
                  It might be b/c we're only two tech guys here, but we run an Arch server here in my company and have had no problems in the 4 years the server has been running.
                  On the other hand, I've never ended up feeling comfortable using Fedora, and I've really tried

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

I'm lazy, care to breakdown the flags and values so I don't have to look them up?

What's the env var that you're assigning it to used by? Pacman 5.2 zstd support?
                    This is a config line in makepkg.conf, effective when you build your own packages (including AUR helpers). These options are compression parameters. -T0 enables multithreaded compression. For the rest see the manpage of zstd.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

It's the makepkg.conf line for zstd enabling multi-threading & adaptive compression between levels 7 and 19. The rest are just the standard compression/suppression settings makepkg uses. It's fast with decent results.

Comment

Working...
                      X