Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arch Linux's Pacman 5.2 Released - Drops Support For Delta Packages, Adds Zstd Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux's Pacman 5.2 Released - Drops Support For Delta Packages, Adds Zstd Support

Phoronix: Arch Linux's Pacman 5.2 Released - Drops Support For Delta Packages, Adds Zstd Support

The Pacman 5.2 package manager for Arch Linux systems is now available with a variety of changes over earlier releases...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...n-5.2-Released

Imo bad news. For example Delta RPM still is used in Fedora and works like charms

Comment

It's not a matter if it works or not, it was never fully supported on Arch and as the article says, it had a security hole. It did work though

Comment

Not landed in the repos yet...

Comment

Zstd support seems to be a nice feature... I wonder if there are difference notable in update process!

Comment

Great to see the development momentum with Arch Linux.

Arch Linux is the best Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by armetuz View Post
              Great to see the development momentum with Arch Linux.

Arch Linux is the best Linux!
              Best really depends on use-case.
              While Arch might best at some thing, it surely isn't the best at all things!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Best really depends on use-case.
                While Arch might best at some thing, it surely isn't the best at all things!
                Agree. I love Arch for my desktop. But I wouldn't put it on my server. My desktop has been borked probably 3-4 times over the last 5 years from incorrect Arch updates. I can deal with it on a desktop, as I can roll back packages calmly. I can't deal with it on my servers. That's never happened to me on CentOS.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

Agree. I love Arch for my desktop. But I wouldn't put it on my server. My desktop has been borked probably 3-4 times over the last 5 years from incorrect Arch updates. I can deal with it on a desktop, as I can roll back packages calmly. I can't deal with it on my servers. That's never happened to me on CentOS.
                  To me,

Best distro for developers - Fedora
                  Best distro for tinkerers - Arch
                  Best distro for servers - CentOS/RHEL
                  Best distro for iot, random things etc - Debian
                  Best distro for desktop - I don't think there really is one.

Comment

Originally posted by smirky View Post
                    It's not a matter if it works or not, it was never fully supported on Arch and as the article says, it had a security hole. It did work though
                    Why not fix the security hole (if it has chance) instead of dropping the feature then? That's like if I were to demolish my house if it was dirty.

Comment

Working...
                    X