Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Available For Download With Its GNOME 3.34 + Experimental ZFS Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sane is still on 1.0.27 1.0.28 was release by the end of July. I dislike ppa's Will stick to Arch for the time being.

Cannonical seems selfcentered.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post

Are you sure of this? My laptop points an orange light when the GPU is ON and draining huge amounts of power. Light goes white when discrete GPU is off. When using bumblebee this works fine, or when disabling it completely with `prime-select`. "on-demand" however leaves my orange light and drains battery. I think you are just "thinking" it works but it doesn't.

The reason I can't keep with Bumblebee is because it's horrible performance bottleneck and it's no longer maintained.
      "...and draining huge amounts of power."
      Are you sure it's not just a light that turns on when the GPU is on?

You can check the power state of the GPU with the NVIDIA Settings panel and you can check how much power your computer is consuming with powertop (be sure to be using battery power when measuring).

The GPU seems to be on, but the power consumption is almost the same.

With Intel-only mode, idle: 6.13W
      With on-demand, idle: 7.12W

I can certainly live with this difference if it means I can use my dedicated GPU whenever I want without a ending the session and whatnot, but I know they intend to make power management similar to what it is on Windows, eventually.

Ps.: I have a Dell Inspiron 7460 with a Core i5-7200U with a GeForce 940MX

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Will the HWE stack be updated to these releases? Or does that only happen annually?
        for each LTS point-release, so every six months

Comment

Will the HWE stack be updated to these releases? Or does that only happen annually?
          HWE doesn't exist in the non-LTS releases. HWE is Canonical terminology for backporting some components from non-LTS releases to LTS releases, providing LTS releases with support for newer hardware (hence the name, Hardware Enablement).

That means that, after a non-LTS release has been out for a while, its Kernel/Mesa/some other things will get backported to the current LTS release (18.04, at the moment).

​​​​​​Current HWE stack for 18.04 is based on 19.04.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

HWE doesn't exist in the non-LTS releases. HWE is Canonical terminology for backporting some components from non-LTS releases to LTS releases, providing LTS releases with support for newer hardware (hence the name, Hardware Enablement).

That means that, after a non-LTS release has been out for a while, its Kernel/Mesa/some other things will get backported to the current LTS release (18.04, at the moment).

​​​​​​Current HWE stack for 18.04 is based on 19.04.
            I'm not sure who you're replying to, coz I'm aware of these. My question was that will 18.04 get the kernel of 19.10 or not.

Comment

I'm not sure who you're replying to, coz I'm aware of these. My question was that will 18.04 get the kernel of 19.10 or not.
              Oh, I misread the question. My bad.

Yes, it will, eventually, somewhere between now and the release of 20.04, I believe

Comment

Pretty disapppointing release, but that's Canonical, always focusing on sthitty stuff instead of the important stuff.
                They included Nvidia proprietary driver... why they didn't include also AMD's proprietary driver so people have a choice?
                If they really want to allow people to have more software in offline installations, how about including also htop, git, gparted, GRUB Customizer, some games, etc?
                How is the 32bit support... can I run any 32-bit program or game without internet connection?

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

"...and draining huge amounts of power."
                  Are you sure it's not just a light that turns on when the GPU is on?

You can check the power state of the GPU with the NVIDIA Settings panel and you can check how much power your computer is consuming with powertop (be sure to be using battery power when measuring).

The GPU seems to be on, but the power consumption is almost the same.

With Intel-only mode, idle: 6.13W
                  With on-demand, idle: 7.12W

I can certainly live with this difference if it means I can use my dedicated GPU whenever I want without a ending the session and whatnot, but I know they intend to make power management similar to what it is on Windows, eventually.

Ps.: I have a Dell Inspiron 7460 with a Core i5-7200U with a GeForce 940MX
                  I have checked again, and I've got:

Intel-only mode, idle: ~11-12W
                  Ubuntu Nvidia/On-Demand: ~15-16W
                  Nouveau/other experiments: ~30W

So you are right, it isn't so bad even with the GPU on in low consumption mode, but I still prefer white-light GPU off.

I am using this script to switch GPU on/off by session refresh: https://github.com/timrichardson/Prime-Ubuntu-18.04

Comment

Yes, scheduled for release on February next year: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseSchedule

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                      Using Ubuntu MATE, I noticed tearing is finally fixed! Also reported on their release notes: https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-...rmine-release/
                      Is it because of Wayland?

Comment

Working...
                      X