Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Available For Download With Its GNOME 3.34 + Experimental ZFS Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10 Available For Download With Its GNOME 3.34 + Experimental ZFS Experience

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 Available For Download With Its GNOME 3.34 + Experimental ZFS Experience

Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" has hit mirrors today for an on-time release of this six-month non-LTS installment to Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using Ubuntu MATE, I noticed tearing is finally fixed! Also reported on their release notes: https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-...rmine-release/

Comment

I switched from Fedora to try out the new Nvidia Prime `on-demand` feature, but doesn't work. Nvidia GPU on my hybrid laptop is always on

I do appreciate auto-nvidia driver installation though, saves a few pains
      Last edited by JeansenVaars; 17 October 2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a broken and possibly annoying record, my system has been absolutely flying on 19.10 / GNOME 3.34.1.

I may not have the respect of the arch crowd, but damnit I love my Ubuntu/debian desktop right now.

1TB RAID 0 ext4 (two 512GB 860 EVO's)
        BFQ scheduler
        intel_pstate performance governor
        mitigations=off (i5-4670K here)
        5.3.6 custom kernel plus -O3 -march=native
        zstd kernel compression
        oibaf PPA for Mesa 19.3-devel + Feral GameMode + Valve fsync (with env vars RADV_PERFTEST=aco, AMD_DEBUG=sisched,forcedma + nir enabled via ~/.drirc)
        Gnome extensions include Clipboard Indicator, Multi monitors add-on, Arc menu, Alt-tab switcher popup delay removal, User themes
        Animations off
        Firefox Nightly with WebRender enabled

perpetual_tweaking...

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
          I switched from Fedora to try out the new Nvidia Prime `on-demand` feature, but doesn't work. Nvidia GPU on my hybrid laptop is always on

I do appreciate auto-nvidia driver installation though, saves a few pains
          The on-demand feature, for now, is only for choosing whete the rendering is done. The NVIDIA GPU is always on, although in a low power state.

Personally, it seems to work well and I haven't notices a huge impact on my battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

The on-demand feature, for now, is only for choosing whete the rendering is done. The NVIDIA GPU is always on, although in a low power state.

Personally, it seems to work well and I haven't notices a huge impact on my battery life.
            The rendering where? I would assume, just as like Windows does, to turn off the GPU until something needs GPU. Is Xorg using the GPU here? it's draining my battery that's all I know, unless I turn it off completely (through a full reboot...)

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post

The rendering where? I would assume, just as like Windows does, to turn off the GPU until something needs GPU. Is Xorg using the GPU here? it's draining my battery that's all I know, unless I turn it off completely (through a full reboot...)
              The rendering is done on the iGPU, unless the proper environment variables are set. Even though the chip and bus remain active, the NVIDIA GPU won't actually be receiving any work to do and will keep a low power state.

I'm not saying it's the ideal, just that it's the current state of things.

The chip being on doesn't mean it's being used.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

The rendering is done on the iGPU, unless the proper environment variables are set. Even though the chip and bus remain active, the NVIDIA GPU won't actually be receiving any work to do and will keep a low power state.

I'm not saying it's the ideal, just that it's the current state of things.

The chip being on doesn't mean it's being used.
                Are you sure of this? My laptop points an orange light when the GPU is ON and draining huge amounts of power. Light goes white when discrete GPU is off. When using bumblebee this works fine, or when disabling it completely with `prime-select`. "on-demand" however leaves my orange light and drains battery. I think you are just "thinking" it works but it doesn't.

The reason I can't keep with Bumblebee is because it's horrible performance bottleneck and it's no longer maintained.
                Last edited by JeansenVaars; 17 October 2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

They didn't include the Navi firmware... Grr....

Comment

Will the HWE stack be updated to these releases? Or does that only happen annually?

Comment

Working...
                    X