Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Codenamed The Focal Fossa, Arriving On 23 April

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Codenamed The Focal Fossa, Arriving On 23 April

With Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" releasing tomorrow (17 October), development is about to kick-off for the next Ubuntu development cycle under the codename Focal Fossa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu X.(04|10) LTS "Adjective Animal"

where Animal and Adjective are usually not heard of/seldom-used

Comment

This is a pity. Trying to guess the next adjective animal (and making up the most ridiculous ideas) has been part of the Ubuntu lore for years and announcing it so early has killed the ritual this time. Mark should have waited at least a week or two.

Comment

U think they’ll have wayland as default on the next LTS after that?
        Last edited by garegin; 16 October 2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

I wonder why can't it be called... 20.04. It carries so much more information. In conversation I always refer to Ubuntu releases by their YY.MM moniker. I usually don't even remember the stupid animal names and I often have trouble finding the right release directory at the server.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
            I wonder why can't it be called... 20.04. It carries so much more information. In conversation I always refer to Ubuntu releases by their YY.MM moniker. I usually don't even remember the stupid animal names and I often have trouble finding the right release directory at the server.
            It is called 20.04. Focal Fossa is the internal development name. In the releases directory they are all numbered according to yy.mm.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

It is called 20.04. Focal Fossa is the internal development name. In the releases directory they are all numbered according to yy.mm.
              No. Packages' urls won't have any indication on YY.MM they will contain "focal".
              See https://packages.ubuntu.com/eoan/devel/apt-build for example

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                kobblestown The final product is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Animal names is only during development. But the animal names are cool and tend to stick.

How do I find 14.04?

BTW, the animal names are childish, not cool.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
                  BTW, the animal names are childish, not cool.
                  You say that like it's a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

You say that like it's a bad thing.
                    TOE-May-toe Tuh-MAH-toe

And yes it is a Bad Thing because the package repositories are always listed by code name rather than release version. It makes finding the right repository more confusing than it needs to be if you need to track down a package manually. It's not cute. It's annoying.

Comment

Working...
                    X