Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Nears Roll-Out Of Zstd Compressed Packages For Faster Pacman Installs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Nears Roll-Out Of Zstd Compressed Packages For Faster Pacman Installs

Phoronix: Arch Linux Nears Roll-Out Of Zstd Compressed Packages For Faster Pacman Installs

The upcoming release of Arch's Pacman 5.2 is bringing support for compressing packages with Zstd which ultimately will provide faster package installs on Arch Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"You have had a year, so we expect you already did update. Hurry up if you have not."

The double-edged sword of KISS attitude. I actually admire Arch for this.

Comment

welcome to 2017, #t2sde is using zstd for two years already, ..! ,-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQee4IDoUow

Comment

That's pretty nice, considering Arch is already substantially faster than most distros at handling installs.

Comment

If you haven't updated an Arch install in a year I feel like you're going to get problems anyway. It's always easier to reinstall if you're in that position.

Comment

It doesn't matter how small the packages are, pacman still doesn't clear its cache so your drive will fill up eventually. Probably one of the few annoyances I have with Arch, another one being I haven't figured out how to set a systemd job to clear pacman's cache from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              It doesn't matter how small the packages are, pacman still doesn't clear its cache so your drive will fill up eventually. Probably one of the few annoyances I have with Arch, another one being I haven't figured out how to set a systemd job to clear pacman's cache from time to time
              I personally wrote a shell script that updates my system (including AUR packages), checks for orphans, then clears cache, all in 1 go. I wrote it to optionally retain the cache in the event I feel I should keep something. Makes life much easier.
              If you really don't care about ever keeping the cache, you can always mount it to /tmp.

Comment

paccache in the package pacman-contrib cleans the cache, keeping the last 3 by default. It comes with paccache.timer to run weekly. This is all in the pacman wiki page.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  It doesn't matter how small the packages are, pacman still doesn't clear its cache
                  It's literally the first option listed under Sync.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                    "You have had a year, so we expect you already did update. Hurry up if you have not."

The double-edged sword of KISS attitude. I actually admire Arch for this.
                    Not really, just use Archlinux archive and update step by step when you want.
                    Using Archlinux archive is still KISS :*

Comment

Working...
                    X