Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NixOS 19.09 Released With Xfce 4.14 Packages, GNOME 3 Updates

Phoronix: NixOS 19.09 Released With Xfce 4.14 Packages, GNOME 3 Updates

We are hitting the autumn Linux distribution update season and out today is NixOS 19.09 as the latest installment for this operating system built around the functional Nix package manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another distro I never heard of!!!! It is surprising how one gets attached to a favored distro, Fedora in this case, and the reality of the Linux world goes away.

Comment

Another distro I never heard of!!!!
      Oh man. Buckle up. This will be the last new distro you care about!

Comment

When Antergos was discontinued I switched over to NixOS, and I couldn't have made a better choice. I clearly think that this is the future and Nix is the future of software deployment, beating docker and everything else there is.

It definitely is not "just another distro". This distro is so unique that you have to forget almost everything you know from using arch, debian and so on and learn the NixOS way of doing it. And for good! It's just awesome.

I also can already imagine that NixOS will be used by large companies or the government that want to have perfect control over what software is installed on every computer and that it's completely reproducible.

Granted, learning it is a pain, and it may not be suitable for all people out there, but for those that it suits, it's definitely worth it.
        As a programmer, it's heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Wingfeather View Post

Oh man. Buckle up. This will be the last new distro you care about!
          That +1000

Old-school Arch & Gentoo users should probably love NixOS and their philosophy. It's one of the few distributions that really, really, really makes me take notice and want to move on from Arch/Manjaro.

Comment

Michael
            It's been unapproving me hard today

There's another one in the Proton thread too...

Comment

In the Nix family is also Guix, a Nix fork modified in the following ways:
              * Uses Scheme (GNU Guile Scheme) as the configuration language instead of the Nix language.
              * Free software only (Linux libre, etc... I think it has the FSF respects-your-freedom certification)
              * Uses the GNU Shepherd init system.

I don't have anything against systemd, I just think competition in the init space is good for everyone.

...having said all that, I only run Guix in VMs at the moment. I'm going to put it on an old laptop later.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I don't have anything against systemd, I just think competition in the init space is good for everyone.
                That's how I feel. We should always have at least two competing standards so one or the other doesn't get complacent...applies to everything from init systems to GUIs to libc to shells to DEs...

Comment

NixOS is pretty cool!

Comment

It's a great distro. However, sadly, not yet quite at the point for productive use. The concept is great but at the same time it also makes it hard to fix things if they don't happen to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X