Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Power Efficiency Between Ubuntu 19.04, Clear Linux & openSUSE Tumbleweed With CompuLab's Airtop 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power Efficiency Between Ubuntu 19.04, Clear Linux & openSUSE Tumbleweed With CompuLab's Airtop 3

Phoronix: The Power Efficiency Between Ubuntu 19.04, Clear Linux & openSUSE Tumbleweed With CompuLab's Airtop 3

With CompuLab's incredibly well engineered Airtop 3 fan-less computer that is built to meet rugged industrial requirements while being loaded with an 8-core/16-thread Xeon CPU, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 graphics, 64GB of RAM, and NVMe solid-state storage, here is an interesting benchmark comparison of Ubuntu 19.04, Clear Linux, and openSUSE Tumbleweed. Given the interesting system under test, not only is the raw performance being looked at but also the performance-per-Watt / AC power consumption and CPU thermal differences between these Linux operating systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The total kWh consumed to complete the entire test suite, at the wall outlet, would be a much better indicator of overall platform efficiency with the installed software. I bet Clear would beat Ubuntu by a small margin, and SuSE would lose by a large margin.

Comment

Once again, these are not directly relevant comparisons since you left Tumbleweed on btrfs and KDE while running Clear and Ubuntu with EXT4 and Gnome. These tests only beg the question of what results you would get with Tumbleweed on EXT4 with Gnome, and what the power draw would be.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
        The total kWh consumed to complete the entire test suite, at the wall outlet, would be a much better indicator of overall platform efficiency with the installed software. I bet Clear would beat Ubuntu by a small margin, and SuSE would lose by a large margin.
        Is OpenSUSE really that power-hungry...? I was thinking of upgrading my server to it...

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Once again, these are not directly relevant comparisons since you left Tumbleweed on btrfs and KDE while running Clear and Ubuntu with EXT4 and Gnome. These tests only beg the question of what results you would get with Tumbleweed on EXT4 with Gnome, and what the power draw would be.
          Yes they are. They're OOTB end-user comparisons. If Joe Dumbass goes and installs any of those distributions, that's what he'd get so that's what is compared.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Is OpenSUSE really that power-hungry...? I was thinking of upgrading my server to it...
            On a desktop on first boot/the first day or two? Maybe. balooctl isn't known for being light on resources.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              If Joe Dumbass goes and installs any of those distributions
              Joe Dumbass may be relevant to your use case, but it is not to mine.

Comment

Why? Defaults are defaults.

Comment

Joe Dumbass may be relevant to your use case, but it is not to mine.
                  When comparing a range of distributions on a fixed piece of hardware to see the power differences based on what the those distributions provide by default, the Joe Dumbass experience is exactly what needs to be tested because that's what regular users, not advanced users like ourselves, will use if they're actually capable of flashing a USB stick and installing Linux.

Comment

Hi,
                    I'm Joe Dumbass.
                    And yes I use Linux everyday on my desktop.
                    Planning on staying dumb? Not sure, mummy say..

Comment

Working...
                    X