GNOME 3.34 Should Be Hitting Clear Linux "Soon-ish"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Maybe, like me, Intel devs don't really like Gnome by default and would rather hold off on updating it until their preferred workflow actually works.

Also, seeing as how random extensions breaking with Gnome updates is one of the biggest complaints I see about Gnome, it makes sense that Clear Devs would want to wait until they could fix the issues causing their used extensions to quit working so people won't equate Gnome being broken and buggy to Clear being broken and buggy.

I don't even like Gnome because I've been burned by updates breaking my extensions so I applaud what Clear is doing. If other distributions did what Clear is doing, hold off until some extension bugs are fixed, there's a half a chance that I wouldn't have been update burned with extensions which means that my biggest negative about Gnome wouldn't have effected me near as much as it did and, because of that, I wouldn't necessarily equate Gnome with Plugin Hell.
    That argument doesn't apply to the theme though, are they going to hold off updating application updates until the theme is fixed for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

That argument doesn't apply to the theme though, are they going to hold off updating application updates until the theme is fixed for them?
      I suppose they'd just use the theme since that issue has been fixed....

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        skeevy420 GNOME is default desktop on Clear Linux. Obviously they like it

Extensions need to a better job of keeping up. CI is the answer.
        I agree. All I meant was "maybe they don't like Gnome without those extensions very much". That 100% describes me and Gnome.

Code:

Gnome by default = ugh
        Gnome with plugins = sweet

Comment

skeevy420 Maybe they don’t care about some random extensions? They couldn’t be bothered to add a proper sessions and QA 🤷 Waiting a few weeks saves them a lot of complaints from haters. Nobody wants to deal with haters.
          That's the point I was trying to make

Also, seeing as how random extensions breaking with Gnome updates is one of the biggest complaints I see about Gnome, it makes sense that Clear Devs would want to wait until they could fix the issues causing their used extensions to quit working so people won't equate Gnome being broken and buggy to Clear being broken and buggy.

Comment

skeevy420 You forgot to quote all your hate and rant before and after. So no one at Clear shares or supports your hate speech. Neither do I.

On the contrary Clear resolved the few issues and 3.34 will go in soonish.

Maybe, like me, Intel devs don't really like Gnome by default and would rather hold off on updating it until their preferred workflow actually works.
            How is that sentence before the earlier quote hate or a rant? It's merely speculation based on my opinions about Gnome due to Clear holding off on releasing the update until the extensions they use and ship by default work.

Not caring for Gnome much by default isn't saying I like nor dislike Gnome overall, only that I don't like their defaults. I'm a Plasma user and the Plasma default settings suck ass too...just my opinion. I mean, they're defaults so they're supposed to be good enough to cater to everyone until the system is set up like they prefer.

Maybe...by default...context clues, my dude.

I don't even like Gnome because I've been burned by updates breaking my extensions so I applaud what Clear is doing. If other distributions did what Clear is doing, hold off until some extension bugs are fixed, there's a half a chance that I wouldn't have been update burned with extensions which means that my biggest negative about Gnome wouldn't have effected me near as much as it did and, because of that, I wouldn't necessarily equate Gnome with Plugin Hell.
            And that part is me saying "Gnome updates have broke my desktop due to extensions not being compatible so kudos on Clear for ensuring a nice update path. I wish more distributions would do that so we won't have to experience that as much".

That's also not hate. Possibly a rant, but clearly not hate.

I mean, how is saying "I applaud what Clear is doing" due to "I've been burned by that issue during updates with other distributions in the past" fucking hateful? How? That's a compliment. Yeah, I started it off with "I don't like Gnome"...but that was followed with why I came to not like it and what Clear is doing to prevent the scenario that made me not care much for Gnome in the first place.

How is wanting other distributions to vet their software more, like I'm applauding Clear Linux doing here with all my hate speech, actually hateful.

Please point out my hate speech. I'm failing to find it.

Comment

skeevy420 Your hate speech is right there. Sorry but you to accept Clearly Clear holds different views. And soon they also use 3.34 \o/

The best performing desktop on the best performing distribution.
              Then quote actual hate speech. If I posted hate speech, quote it and I'll address it because I can assure you I had no intentions of posting hate speech (in this thread ).

And how do we hold different views? Because I made an opinionated statement suggesting that we both dislike Gnome with the default settings? I didn't realize stating I didn't care for a desktop environment's default settings was the same as wanting people who aren't my color or sexual identity dead. Totally the same thing

I want an optimized system; so do they. I want a bug free experience; so do they. I want my used plugins to still work after an update; so do they. Aside from my opinionated statement, we both seem to want the same things.

Anyways, I don't appreciate the slander and libel that comes with the phrase "hate speech". Hate speech is like when I was called an n-word lover, by my Dad no less , when I held the door open at a gas station for a black beer distributor bringing in a loaded dolly of Bud Light a week ago. That's hate speech...both racist towards the guy trying to do his job and hateful towards me for trying to be a decent and helpful person. So, again, please quote my hate speech because I take Civil Rights' very seriously.

I might be an asshole and post some of the most retarded and offensive stuff on Phoronix, like said description of myself......but actual hate speech that's meant to be hateful and demeaning to others...nope, that's not me. I've had to grow up hearing the most hateful and racist and bigoted things one can imagine. I can't even watch an hour of TV with my Dad without hearing double digit N and F bombs...and F ain't "fuck" back there. I mean, if there was a drinking game called "My Racist Dad" we'd all be dead of alcohol poisoning before the end of The Price is Right.

So where in this thread did I post actual hate speech? People disagreeing with you or your views is not hate speech. Your lack of a grasp of the English language and, therefore, possibly not comprehending what someone is saying does not make it hate speech.

No offense meant by that lack of grasp comment, it just seems, based on how you type things, that English may not be your first language and I'm genuinely curious what you thought was actual hate speech so I can, if possible, tweak my preferred ways of typing to make my thoughts more clear and not appear as hate speech.

Comment

Michael

Unapproved post. Though with some of the phrases and words used, I get it.

Comment

What's the KDE experience like on Clear Linux? Seems counter-intuitive for a tweaker distro to default to Gnome...

Comment

skeevy420 GNOME is default desktop on Clear Linux. Obviously they like it

Extensions need to a better job of keeping up. CI is the answer.
                    Or, maybe GNOME devs should implement better solution for extensions?

It doesn't really bother me, all extensions I've used are Applications menu, Hide dash X and user themes, Aplicattions menu got broken with 3.34 update, regardless that that extension 'comes with GNOME'. It now shows both activity and applications menu next to each other, instead of replacing activities with applications menu. Interestingly enough, Hide Dash X actually works (in X11 session at least) despite the fact it is 3rd party extension.

What I found weird is that Plank (the dock I use, I do not use dash to dock extension) no longer 'avoids windows', in other words, any option for hiding the dock doesn't work except auto-hide. But, it was time to change my workflow anyway, so will see how it works now without any of those things (no extensions activated).

Themes are different story for me, they did got broken, and despite the fact Adwaita was improved a lot, still, color choices are not fortunate, and it isn't 'flat enough' for my taste, so that's one thing I can't use defualt gnome (dark version is acceptable, but I do not like to use dark themes), and that tone of blue isn't the most fortunate either, brighter shade should be used IMO that would be more nice for eyes, but I do understand that they seek higher contrast for people who need that, so It's understandable why that color choice.

Comment

skeevy420 You posted hate and implied Clear was agreeing with you. Totally unjustified. Clear default to GNOME.
                      Then quote the hate that I posted. What is so difficult about that?

Try posting something other than "you posted hate speech". At some point I'll get annoyed that you'll keep posting libel and I will consider it to be harassment.

And, yes, it is libel if you keep accusing someone of an action that could potentially ruin one's life if it were actually true. You keep accusing me of hate speech. Hate speech is a big no-no where I'm from and has serious repercussions and can ruin ones' life. Multiple accusations without backing evidence, especially when it's something as serious and heinous as hate speech, is libel and harassment.

Please provide actual evidence or stop the harassment. Just because Phoronix doesn't have a CoC doesn't mean that you haven't broken my Country's CoC...ie...laws. Keep that in mind when you're accusing people of heinous things on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                      X