No announcement yet.

The 32-Bit Packages That Will Continue To Be Supported Through Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 32-Bit Packages That Will Continue To Be Supported Through Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Phoronix: The 32-Bit Packages That Will Continue To Be Supported Through Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Earlier this year Canonical announced they would be pulling 32-bit support from Ubuntu ahead of next year's 20.04 LTS. But following public backlash, they stepped back to provide 32-bit support for select packages. Today they announced the 199 32-bit packages that will continue to be supported through Ubuntu 20.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Ubuntu remains king of games \o/
    I've posted about this before, but once you get your way around it, Arch is smooth sailing even if you want to run 32-bit binaries with games. I've had no problems whatsoever, it only takes RTFMing.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I've posted about this before, but once you get your way around it, Arch is smooth sailing even if you want to run 32-bit binaries with games. I've had no problems whatsoever, it only takes RTFMing.
      Nobody wants to RTFM. People just want things to work so they can get going doing what they like, not struggle with all kinds of things not working.

Comment

No that's Windows.

I'd personally argue something like Tumbleweed or Fedora is better for Linux gaming than Ubuntu because they ship major kernels/graphics stacks updates mid-release.

Comment

Nobody wants to RTFM. People just want things to work so they can get going doing what they like, not struggle with all kinds of things not working.
          And this, exactly, is what is lacking in open-source. We don't have "1-click" setups or anything like that.
          ​​​​​​Average Joe is not an IT master. He just wants to do his work, play games, be on social networks and be done with his day. Not screw around with the terminal, which he considers to be obscure. Now if only it wasn't you who said
          Last edited by tildearrow; 18 September 2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

And this, exactly, is what is lacking in open-source. We don't have "1-click" setups or anything like that.
            ​​​​​​Average Joe is not an IT master. He just wants to do his work, play games, be on social networks and be done with his day. Not screw around with the terminal, which he considers to be obscure. Now if only
            Some distros do have limited 1-click install setups. OpenSUSE immediately comes to mind along with the Ubuntu software store. They're kinda hit or miss with the experience quality, however. I've had some 1-click OpenSUSE links work and others fail miserably in the past. I haven't tried the Ubuntu store at all.

You're generally correct about Average Joe Citizen and why they gravitate towards smart phones/tablets instead of PCs now. I just wanted to point out that there are some such solutions for general Linux distros beyond Android. Anytime you have to open up a terminal for *any* platform you've gone beyond what the vast majority of the general public would be comfortable or even refuse to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Some distros do have limited 1-click install setups. OpenSUSE immediately comes to mind along with the Ubuntu software store. They're kinda hit or miss with the experience quality, however. I've had some 1-click OpenSUSE links work and others fail miserably in the past. I haven't tried the Ubuntu store at all.

You're generally correct about Average Joe Citizen and why they gravitate towards smart phones/tablets instead of PCs now. I just wanted to point out that there are some such solutions for general Linux distros beyond Android. Anytime you have to open up a terminal for *any* platform you've gone beyond what the vast majority of the general public would be comfortable or even refuse to deal with.
              Another problem is that often Average Joe will just use what comes pre-installed in his desktop, laptop, tablet, phone or anything. He does not feel like searching about Linux, and installing it.

If I remember correctly I think the Ubuntu Software store asks you for a password when installing packages, which is beyond 1-click...

Comment

You misspelled Windows.

Comment

Sad!

ubuntu needs to part ways with legacy software. There is no need to cave to people that are running multi decades old software. That is the domain of specialty distros, a major distro like Ubuntu should be looking towards modernization of the Linux user experience.

Fedora isn't perfect but I actually feel like they do a better job of keeping their users on the software train headed towards the future. Fedora though really needs to reconsider 32 bit support also, they need to maintain their position on the bleeding edge. If for nothing else it cuts a big percentage off support requirements.

Comment

Looking that that list... right there I can see that my Origin client would be broken. 32 bit gnutls, 32 bit ldap... crickets chirping. Not even lib32 freetype?

Comment

Working...
                    X