Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Nice desktop. Systemd and wayland.
    Been using it for several months now, it’s a joy to use and major upgrade coming from RHEL 7 (no pun intended). Not sure if we’ll see the GNOME 3.34 updates until April when 8.2 drops or if they’ll backport it to the current 3.28.

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

If they strip the H264 from chromium-browser and firefox, they could from VLC to.
    and if they don't, then just use a web browser to play your video.
    They don’t strip x264 support from Firefox. The browser detects and calls on the libavformat or libavcodec (can’t remember which) at runtime which provides the necessary codecs (assuming it was built with them). These come from ffmpeg. FFmpeg can’t ship with Fedora as the Fedora base repos have a strict open-source only and no patent ideology. That’s why ffmpeg is in RPMFusion.

Cheers,
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post
      ...libavcodec...
      That's just passing the issue along; Fedora could strip x264 from Libavcodec (the library chromium-browser and vlc use)

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        I'm actually not sure why RHEL8 and derivatives do struggle so much on the video playback front. Is there some complexity I am missing? For example VLC is missing currently from the rpmfusion repos (the VLC website say it is a work in progress and that they are the ones creating the package?). For RHEL7 we had to use the nux desktop repository for quite a while too.

VLC is a very popular video player in the corporate world / enterprise so it isn't exactly low priority. How are they going to run all those videos they need during team building exercises?
        RHEL7? But I thought you mentioned a while ago that you're using RHEL6?

Comment

VLC is on Flathub

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
            That's just passing the issue along; Fedora could strip x264 from Libavcodec (the library chromium-browser and vlc use)
            And in doing so remove the ability to play pretty much all H.264 material on the distribution as a whole since, as far as I'm aware, nearly every media package on Linux uses the ffmpeg libraries for the popular codecs licensed/owned by MPEG-LA. It's not difficult to enable RPMFusion and install ffmpeg. However, it would be nice if the 3rd-party GNOME Software repos provided by Fedora included RPM Fusion and not just the steam/nvidia subset repos[0]. A popup after installation asking to enable them wouldn't be a terrible option.

In terms of RHEL/CentOS, this is really a moot point as they are intended as server distributions. A little bit of work isn't really out of the ordinary and is expected of/by the users trying to use it for the desktop.

Cheers,
            Mike

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Works...e_Repositories
            Last edited by mroche; 17 September 2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post
              In terms of RHEL/CentOS, this is really a moot point as they are intended as server distributions.
              No.

Comment

Any one know if the ROCM drivers have been working with RH8?

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post

No.
                  Offering a product with reduced access to tooling and support does not make RHEL a desktop oriented Linux distribution. The reasoning for even having a desktop environment in the first place is so that:

1) Developers work on RHEL and deploy on RHEL so that they have consistent tooling between dev and build, and as such:
                  2) Administrators have a single distribution to manage between their server and workstation systems. No need to set up separate infrastructure and people to manage a different OS/distribution.

The name of that product is also a tad misleading. Server does provide everything needed to run a graphical solution desktop, whether you choose to at install time or post install. Workstation just has limited support for virtual machines (I believe a grand total of one), is limited to a dual-socket system, and doesn't have access to all developer tools without the developer subscription variant. It's also defaulted to self-support. Otherwise, it's still a bare-metal server OS that defaults to installing a graphical desktop when using Anaconda. The buy page could use some updating, as previously there was a Desktop labelled product that had further hardware and repo restrictions (single-socket, 16GB RAM) making it less ideal for the "high-performance graphics, animation, and scientific activities", but that subscription is gone.

Not offering at least one desktop environment can reduce the amount of people who deploy your distribution, but bundling one does not make it desktop oriented. And I'm saying that as an individual writing this post on a RHEL system running GNOME (Server subscription, though) in the animation field. Red Hat's primary market with virtually everything they do, outside of Fedora, is datacenter and server-first oriented.

Cheers,
                  Mike
                  Last edited by mroche; 17 September 2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    I'm actually not sure why RHEL8 and derivatives do struggle so much on the video playback front. Is there some complexity I am missing? For example VLC is missing currently from the rpmfusion repos (the VLC website say it is a work in progress and that they are the ones creating the package?). For RHEL7 we had to use the nux desktop repository for quite a while too.
                    Same for OpenSUSE and SUSE. They can't legally ship some codecs because of patent issues, and all the applications with these codecs enabled are in a separate third party repo that has existed since forever.

Only outlier is Ubuntu, that is probably too poor to be a target of any lawsuit (or is MS's sockpuppet and as such is shielded from any issue)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

RHEL7? But I thought you mentioned a while ago that you're using RHEL6?
                      Different deployments I guess?
                      He is using Debian for his own workstation, I remember.

Comment

Working...
                      X