X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wudoocoder
    replied
    Hi,

I am new here (but no new to the systemd/gnu-d/linuxd world) and I am in the process of writing honest manjaro review. If you would like I will be doing more reviews of more distros. Only honest reviews without sugarcoating. Tell me a place and will do more reviews. The first one will be here in a separate topic. Fully honest. So be warned. I told you!

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    Originariamente pubblicato da dungeon Visualizza il messaggio
    Penso di sì dal momento che entrambi esistono da oltre 30 anni (quasi quasi la stessa età di StarOffice, nonno di Libre )
    Scusate? Non era OpenOffice?

Originariamente pubblicato da dungeon Visualizza il messaggio
    Forse LibreOffice è abbastanza buono per loro, forse non lo è per qualche motivo Forse è solo buono per Joe nella media, ma non così per qualcosa di speciale o altro.
    In realtà LibreOffice ha ancora molti problemi che ne impediscono l'utilizzo da Average Joe, come la compatibilità con Microsoft Office (non è conforme) e il fatto che usano OpenCL per l'accelerazione matematica in Calc.
    I understand your speech but in my mind it is Office that must make their formats compatible, not LibreOffice, in an intelligent world people would never bind to a proprietary format, regardless of the operating system in use. Free formats should be the rule, not the exception! Unfortunately we live in a crazy world, so the rule is proprietary ... best wishes!

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

For some reason I found this comment extremely amusing. "Germany - where your privacy is (pretty much) guaranteed".

How quickly we forget how Snowden exposed the undercover relationship between the NSA and the Bundesnachrichtendienst, and the German use of PRISM data.
    Lolwut? I was talking about the fact that it's a German COMPANY. Nearly all German companies are better with privacy-related stuff than the Bundesnachrichtendienst. Sure, they may read along, but my point was about what Softmaker does, not what the government does.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sorry? Wasn't it OpenOffice?
    Was going to write the same but did notice he mentioned grandpa.

StarOffice - Grandpa
    OpenOffice - Father
    LibreOffice - Child

That said, it still isn't quite right; OpenOffice wasn't really the father of LibreOffice; more an older sibling which was bled dry by the younger due to licensing phenomenon.

(Don't want to dredge up this old debate but I still find it fantastic that the GPL cannot manage to do any damage to the proprietary world and yet in this case it managed to do some serious damage to a project under another free license. The GPL is so close to becoming a decent weapon but it just isn't quite there yet)

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon

I think so since both exist for 30+ years (well nearly same age like StarOffice, granpa of Libre )
    Sorry? Wasn't it OpenOffice?

Maybe LibreOffice is good enough for them, maybe it isn't for some reason Maybe it is just good for average Joe, but not so for something special or whatever.
    Actually LibreOffice still has many problems that prevent it from being used by Average Joe, such as Microsoft Office compatibility (it isn't complate) and the fact they use OpenCL for math acceleration in Calc.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

Sounds like good time FSF to write some article, explaining what is Free or Libre
    According to FSF:
    - Free: free as in freedom. Often used by people to refer to "Gratis".
    - Libre: same as Free.
    - Gratis: free as in cost, but not in " freedom".

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    At least Softmaker is German, so privacy is pretty much guaranteed
    For some reason I found this comment extremely amusing. "Germany - where your privacy is (pretty much) guaranteed".

How quickly we forget how Snowden exposed the undercover relationship between the NSA and the Bundesnachrichtendienst, and the German use of PRISM data.

Leave a comment:

• WolfpackN64
    replied
    Originally posted by Termy View Post

Manjaro has always put practicability over dogmatism. Imho the right way. If you want to commit to open source but use distros that feature blobs and unfree codecs, you have chosen practicability anyways.
    I think of it more in terms of "showing that Linux can be a viable option, even if you are forced to have ooxml documents". Its not like they are forcing it, so i see no harm if there is the choice on installtime.
    The beauty of many Linux distros has been a "pragmatic open source" approach. Shipping proprietary software where necessary (for example media codecs and NVIDIA drivers) and evading by default proprietary software. I don't mind Manjaro letting people install FreeOffice, but offering it as default is misguided. It's not like many people will think Linux can't do ooxml because the prepackaged office suite isn't 100% compatible.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied

It could be that germans prefer Softmaker's FreeOffice, probably like chineses prefer WPS's Office...

Not everbody uses Microsoft's Office i guess, so The Document Foundation's LibreOffice might not be aware of all of these let say regional/local offices
    You really think that? How many users use Hancom Office in South Korea vs. Microsoft Office then?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
    While something can be said for the user's choice of office suite. Allowing the user to choose at installation between an open source office suite and a proprietary one because it features better compatibility with MS Office shows a lack of commitment towards open source and generally harms the adoption of open office suite standards. It remains a poor choice by the Manjaro team and I hope they reverse this decision, especially since they'll be starting a commercial entity, which in the Linux space are more easily scrutinised by Linux enthusiasts.
    We should contribute to LibreOffice and improve its compatibility to encourage them to drop the proprietary option.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X