Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 18.1 Released With Choice Of Office Suite

Phoronix: Manjaro 18.1 Released With Choice Of Office Suite

Manjaro 18.1 "Juhraya" is now available as the newest six-month feature release to this Arch Linux based operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While something can be said for the user's choice of office suite. Allowing the user to choose at installation between an open source office suite and a proprietary one because it features better compatibility with MS Office shows a lack of commitment towards open source and generally harms the adoption of open office suite standards. It remains a poor choice by the Manjaro team and I hope they reverse this decision, especially since they'll be starting a commercial entity, which in the Linux space are more easily scrutinised by Linux enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
      While something can be said for the user's choice of office suite. Allowing the user to choose at installation between an open source office suite and a proprietary one because it features better compatibility with MS Office shows a lack of commitment towards open source and generally harms the adoption of open office suite standards. It remains a poor choice by the Manjaro team and I hope they reverse this decision, especially since they'll be starting a commercial entity, which in the Linux space are more easily scrutinised by Linux enthusiasts.
      But $$$

or €€€ in this case.

Comment

Manjaro has always put practicability over dogmatism. Imho the right way. If you want to commit to open source but use distros that feature blobs and unfree codecs, you have chosen practicability anyways.
        I think of it more in terms of "showing that Linux can be a viable option, even if you are forced to have ooxml documents". Its not like they are forcing it, so i see no harm if there is the choice on installtime.

Comment

At least Softmaker is German, so privacy is pretty much guaranteed, and they have been making their office suite since the 80's, so they're in it for the long run and have enough money built up.

Also, if you really care about open source the way you do, you shouldn't even be coming near Manjaro as it features proprietary blobs and whatnot in its kernel, just like most distros. They are all harming open source by including that stuff in the kernel.
          Last edited by Vistaus; 12 September 2019, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

Manjaro has always put practicability over dogmatism. Imho the right way. If you want to commit to open source but use distros that feature blobs and unfree codecs, you have chosen practicability anyways.
            I think of it more in terms of "showing that Linux can be a viable option, even if you are forced to have ooxml documents". Its not like they are forcing it, so i see no harm if there is the choice on installtime.
            It's not just about dogmatism, RHEL/Fedora can't ship with certain codecs because they're patented, and shipping them makes them liable to have to pay royalties. Certain distros can get away with this because they go under the radar or they're not based in the US so the validity of software patents on them is questionable, however Red Hat would certainly be a target for any legal trouble to come out of shipping patented codecs.

If we want everyone to use desktop Linux, I'd rather we do it legally, even if the law sucks.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Xfce 4.14, KDE Plasma 5.16, and GNOME 3.32 are the desktop versions availale for Manjaro 18.1.

Comment

We should contribute to LibreOffice and improve its compatibility to encourage them to drop the proprietary option.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon

It could be that germans prefer Softmaker's FreeOffice, probably like chineses prefer WPS's Office...

Not everbody uses Microsoft's Office i guess, so The Document Foundation's LibreOffice might not be aware of all of these let say regional/local offices
                  You really think that? How many users use Hancom Office in South Korea vs. Microsoft Office then?

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

The beauty of many Linux distros has been a "pragmatic open source" approach. Shipping proprietary software where necessary (for example media codecs and NVIDIA drivers) and evading by default proprietary software. I don't mind Manjaro letting people install FreeOffice, but offering it as default is misguided. It's not like many people will think Linux can't do ooxml because the prepackaged office suite isn't 100% compatible.

Comment

Working...
                    X