Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 10.1 Released With First Batch Of Fixes To Buster

Phoronix: Debian 10.1 Released With First Batch Of Fixes To Buster

Debian 10.1 was released today as the first collection of security and bug fixes to this summer's release of Debian 10 "Buster" GNU/Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice update for Debian 9 considering its' age, which has been my daily driver for some time now. One day I'll move to Debian 10 but everything works fine already so it's not a big priority for my use case. Thank you Debian team.

Comment

Synaptic unfortunately still doesn't work when using Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post

Didn't test personally but this might help: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...324/comments/4

Comment

Why does anybody need an old-style distros like Debian when there are really good rolling distros like Arch Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by armetuz View Post
            Why does anybody need an old-style distros like Debian when there are really good rolling distros like Arch Linux?
            Some of my reasons:

1) I have Nvidia GeForce 9600GSO which is a rebranded 8800GS in one of my "experiment" PC's - that requires nvidia-340xx-legacy proprietary drivers - Arch Linux removed it from main repos. I plan on replacing it with a ATI Radeon HD 4650 soon as that works by default on Debian with Chromium 1080p video decoding.

2) I don't like to use a lot of time for installing a distro as I have many computers - there is an unofficial solution for Arch Linux but it's a little hit and miss:

Arch Linux Fast Installer : tutorial installer. Contribute to MatMoul/archfi development by creating an account on GitHub.

Arch Linux Desktop Installer : tutorial installer. Contribute to MatMoul/archdi development by creating an account on GitHub.

3) Arch Linux wears down SSD's a lot faster because of often updated packages.

4) Debian keeps "history museums" of old install CD's and DVD's - so when you want to see how it was in 1996 you can.

Have a nice day!

Comment

Multi-arch! Install arm and mips libraries on you x86 PC, compile for those archs and run via qemu.

You have a testing repository, with actual packages (most of the time, except around releases) so the rolling release point isn't as good as an argument as you think. With backports and the stable repo you can have a more rigorously tested installation. Great to run both servers and desktop with Debian.

​​​

Comment

Having to manually fix something all the time because of missing package dependencies and laziness is the opposite of "really good", not even mentioning the frequent regressions because of lacking testing/QA.

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
                  I'm even surprised it made it in Buster eventually, just before the final freeze. The original plan was to drop it entirely exactly because it wasn't going to work on Wayland. Many Xorg aficionados didn't quite appreciate that though, so it was just kept as it was. I personally can't remind any such exception for any other software on Debian, but I do understand Synaptic has been around for so long, and users got so used to it, it wouldn't have been nice to kill it without any real replacement ready.

Comment

Debian testing/Sid is the best rolling release distribution. Only Debian has resources to make dependencies to work. 99% of Ubuntu packages are from Debian directly so software compatibility is the best. For example, Steam games are supported by SteamOs and Ubuntu only officially. Debian has fast virus free servers around the world so downloading and updating software is fast.

Code:
                    xfce@optipc:~$ inxi -bM
                    System:
                      Host: optipc Kernel: 5.3.0-rc5 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1
                      Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
                    Machine:
                      Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B450M-K v: Rev X.0x
                      serial: <root required> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 1804
                      date: 07/29/2019
                    CPU:
                      6-Core: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 type: MT MCP speed: 3852 MHz
                    Graphics:
                      Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
                      driver: amdgpu v: kernel
                      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: amdgpu
                      resolution: 3840x2160~60Hz
                      OpenGL:
                      renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.33.0 5.3.0-rc5 LLVM 9.0.0)
                      v: 4.5 Mesa 19.3.0-devel (git-538820f 2019-09-03 bionic-oibaf-ppa)
                    Last edited by debiangamer; 08 September 2019, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X