Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 19.3 To Further Enhance Its HiDPI Support

Phoronix: Linux Mint 19.3 To Further Enhance Its HiDPI Support

Even as we approach 2020, many Linux distributions and various desktop programs still isn't fully optimized for today's modern HiDPI screens. Fortunately for users of Ubuntu-based Linux Mint, their next update will further improve its HiDPI support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

XAppStatusIcon sounds interesting but also somewhat hackish. AFAIK, the AppIndicator spec has fundamental flaws which never got addressed, which is one reason why Gnome never adopted it upstream (even the two implementations that exist, the gnome extension and the one in KDE, are AFAIK not really compatible and have to support basically two interpretations of the spec). If the Mint people are investing in this, I'd love to see a RFC for a improved spec from them so all the DEs can finally sort this out for good.

Comment

I hope they get to fractional scaling... some day...

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
        XAppStatusIcon sounds interesting but also somewhat hackish. AFAIK, the AppIndicator spec has fundamental flaws which never got addressed, which is one reason why Gnome never adopted it upstream (even the two implementations that exist, the gnome extension and the one in KDE, are AFAIK not really compatible and have to support basically two interpretations of the spec). If the Mint people are investing in this, I'd love to see a RFC for a improved spec from them so all the DEs can finally sort this out for good.
        As a developer of GUI apps, you've got me curious. What links would you recommend to get up to speed on this?

(I've just been trusting QSystemTrayIcon to do the right thing,assuming that all the GTK+ stuff was "broken by design", and relying on KDE's /usr/bin/xembedsniproxy for anything GTK+ because of libappindicator's artificial and insane restriction that the call to bind primary action (left-click) must take a GtkMenu, leaving secondary action (middle-click under Unity, right-click in Plasma) for toggling window visibility.)

Comment

Admin to aisle "this thread". Spurious "unapproved" needing cleanup.

Comment

Linux Mint needs more speed and less memory use.

Comment

Working...
            X