Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Linux Offering Performance Advantages Even With Low-Power IoT/Edge Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AndyChow
    replied
    Originally posted by willmore View Post
    That LAME result seems very strange. Most of LAME on x86 is already hand coded ASM. Short of the other two distros disabling it, I'm shocked that there's that much improvement to be had. Unless they're using unsafe compiler settings that are leaving out important chunks of code. Which vendors have done in the past for a number of SPEC codes.
    It's consistent with the benchmarks that ran the last few years. Clear linux was always 3.5-4x faster at LAME wav to mp3 than other distros.

It's hard to see the compiler settings, but they are in the image:
    Code:
    -O3 -pipe -fexceptions -fstack-protector -m64 -ffat-lto-objects -fno-signed-zeros -fno-trapping-math -fassociative-math -mtune=skylake -lncurses
    Now why this is so, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• willmore
    replied
    That LAME result seems very strange. Most of LAME on x86 is already hand coded ASM. Short of the other two distros disabling it, I'm shocked that there's that much improvement to be had. Unless they're using unsafe compiler settings that are leaving out important chunks of code. Which vendors have done in the past for a number of SPEC codes.

Leave a comment:

• Clear Linux Offering Performance Advantages Even With Low-Power IoT/Edge Hardware

Phoronix: Clear Linux Offering Performance Advantages Even With Low-Power IoT/Edge Hardware

While we are often testing Intel's Clear Linux on high-end desktop and server hardware, it turns out even on the opposite end of the spectrum that their performance-optimized distribution can offer meaningful performance advantages on low-end SoCs for IoT-type devices. When testing Clear Linux with an Apollolake platform, it came out to being about 20% faster than the likes of Fedora and Ubuntu Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=28203
Working...
X