Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Planning To Drop Qt4 & Its Dependencies Ahead Of 20.04 LTS

Phoronix: Ubuntu Planning To Drop Qt4 & Its Dependencies Ahead Of 20.04 LTS

With Qt 6 becoming an increasing development focus and Qt 5 already seven years old, Ubuntu developers are looking at finally removing Qt 4 ahead of their 20.04 Long-Term Support release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....04-LTS-No-Qt4

• Jaxad0127
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Well, d'oh. We were talking about toolkits here, I'm pretty sure 95% of all server users would not be needing toolkits anyway.
    If you don't think server software uses toolkits, you should look harder. Toolkit != graphics

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Did I not just say in this very thread that Linux is a joke on the desktop and this is one of the reasons why it will remain so...?
    Considering that MacOS has a pretty good market share in mobile devices, which is a bigger market than desktops, and is way ahead of every other Windows alternative calling it a "joke" is just objectively wrong. No matter how you try to rationalize it.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    If MacOS is a joke because of it's market share then what the hell is Linux on the desktop? Because MacOS has been at about 5% for quite a few years while Linux has never even come close to breaking 1%.
    Did I not just say in this very thread that Linux is a joke on the desktop and this is one of the reasons why it will remain so...?

Here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...34#post1121234

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    macOS is a joke everywhere given its pathetic market share in every segment.
    If MacOS is a joke because of it's market share then what the hell is Linux on the desktop? Because MacOS has been at about 5% for quite a few years while Linux has never even come close to breaking 1%.

Oh and before you bring up server and embedded I'm going to have to point you towards iOS which is basically an ARM version of MacOS. In smartphones Apple's has 25% and 40% market shares in Europe and the U.S respectively while in tablets they're so dominant Google concluded there wasn't any point in continuing development of Android on tablets (much to my personal chagrin as I prefer Android tablets over iPads).

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Dedale View Post

Only on desktop.
    Well, d'oh. We were talking about toolkits here, I'm pretty sure 95% of all server users would not be needing toolkits anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Dedale
    replied

Compared to Windows, yes. But macOS has a lot more market share than Linux. Also, my Windows point still stands.
    Only on desktop. Which means not at all.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Compared to Windows, yes. But macOS has a lot more market share than Linux. Also, my Windows point still stands.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
    Does Windows and Apple even have support for Qt by default, or are they also jokes on the desktop?
    Windows has its own stable graphical toolkits, why would you use Qt as an argument? And the old ones are not removed, that's the thing.

Linux has GTK and Qt and both get this "drop" habit bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    macOS keeps dropping stuff too and is about to drop 32-bit and Windows has dropped two of their own design languages lately. But I guess both of them are a joke on the desktop too, right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X