Ubuntu Planning To Drop Qt4 & Its Dependencies Ahead Of 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
    If you can simply 'recompile' the same code for Qt5 then only because someone has already prepared said code for Qt5 compatibility. Porting is easy, that does not mean there are no code changes at all, unless it is very basic, simple stuff.

That said, good for Ubuntu. Qt4 is completely unmaintained for years and trying to keep it alive with up to date toolchain and dependencies must be a major PITA by now.
    Or... Get this... Qt4 is mostly source compatible with Qt5, and the biggest source of source breakage is removal of the Qt3 support libraries, and the real trouble with the Qt4->Qt5 transition revolved around the Kdelib->KDE Frameworks transition as opposed to pure Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      I somehow get the feeling that you're just really desperate to push Motif the same way Rust fanboys are desperate to push it.
      Looks like I don't need to push it. Looks like Motif has already won! I just need to wait for distros to pull Qt5

There is a difference though. Rust kids only want to push Rust because either it is new or they are beginners and don't understand the word "legacy maintenance". The majority also don't have any important skills in i.e C that they would need to retrain. If anything it would mean they wouldn't need to compete with developers who have superior skills to them (for a while).

Same with the Wayland kids; they want new and don't have anything important that relies on Xorg. Its not like the majority have ever really made anything; they just consume Steam games. All they do is go onto github projects and log tickets asking "when is the Wayland port coming out?"

Motif is not new; it is tried and tested and has a lot of middleware built for it. Using 3rd party libraries it actually has many more UI components than Qt5. The only thing Motif needs is a trendy facelift (not something tacky and bloated like Adwaita or theme engines, something classy).

I am also beginning to think that Motif + Xwayland also uses less resources than Gtk3+ or Qt4+ and friends whilst maintaining a network aware protocol.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 08-24-2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        macOS keeps dropping stuff too and is about to drop 32-bit and Windows has dropped two of their own design languages lately. But I guess both of them are a joke on the desktop too, right?
        macOS is a joke everywhere given its pathetic market share in every segment.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
          Does Windows and Apple even have support for Qt by default, or are they also jokes on the desktop?
          Windows has its own stable graphical toolkits, why would you use Qt as an argument? And the old ones are not removed, that's the thing.

Linux has GTK and Qt and both get this "drop" habit bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Compared to Windows, yes. But macOS has a lot more market share than Linux. Also, my Windows point still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Compared to Windows, yes. But macOS has a lot more market share than Linux. Also, my Windows point still stands.
              Only on desktop. Which means not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post

Only on desktop.
                Well, d'oh. We were talking about toolkits here, I'm pretty sure 95% of all server users would not be needing toolkits anyway.

Comment

If MacOS is a joke because of it's market share then what the hell is Linux on the desktop? Because MacOS has been at about 5% for quite a few years while Linux has never even come close to breaking 1%.

Oh and before you bring up server and embedded I'm going to have to point you towards iOS which is basically an ARM version of MacOS. In smartphones Apple's has 25% and 40% market shares in Europe and the U.S respectively while in tablets they're so dominant Google concluded there wasn't any point in continuing development of Android on tablets (much to my personal chagrin as I prefer Android tablets over iPads).
                  "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                    If MacOS is a joke because of it's market share then what the hell is Linux on the desktop? Because MacOS has been at about 5% for quite a few years while Linux has never even come close to breaking 1%.
                    Did I not just say in this very thread that Linux is a joke on the desktop and this is one of the reasons why it will remain so...?

Here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...34#post1121234

Comment

Did I not just say in this very thread that Linux is a joke on the desktop and this is one of the reasons why it will remain so...?
                      Considering that MacOS has a pretty good market share in mobile devices, which is a bigger market than desktops, and is way ahead of every other Windows alternative calling it a "joke" is just objectively wrong. No matter how you try to rationalize it.
                      "Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it."

Comment

Working...
                      X