Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knoppix 8.6 Released - This Original Linux Live Distro Now Based On Debian Buster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knoppix 8.6 Released - This Original Linux Live Distro Now Based On Debian Buster

Phoronix: Knoppix 8.6 Released - This Original Linux Live Distro Now Based On Debian Buster

Knoppix 8.6 is out this weekend as the newest version for this one of the original Linux distributions supporting Live CD/DVD booting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    desktop environment bitsand other updated software.

Comment

Knoppix was one of my first exposures to Linux. Still have the CD where it had the option of running with the experimental 2.6 series kernel where you could type knoppix26 at the loader prompt. Also my first exposure to Linux games, loved me some Xgalaga. Remember tinkering with the system doing rm -r / and all kinds of stuff, really cut my teeth on that distro cause all you had to do was reboot and everything was magically fixed and at 15 that was nice.

Comment

Debian/stable (buster), with some packages from Debian/testing and unstable (sid) for newer graphics drivers or desktop software packages.
        Facepalm. Why would you even use a distro which requires combining several development stages to get something usable?

Wine 4.0 prerelease
        Does anyone really need to run Windows software using a Linux Live DVD?

Qemu-kvm 3.1
        Virtualization? Maybe a kitchen sink as well?

And let me tell you this: Knoppix is extremely slow when being used as a LiveDVD. It's basically a torture.
        Last edited by birdie; 18 August 2019, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Facepalm. Why would you even use a distro which requires combining several development stages to get something usable?

Does anyone really need to run Windows software on using a Live DVD?

Virtualization? Maybe a kitchen sink as well?

And let me tell you this: Knoppix is extremely slow when being used as a LiveDVD. It's basically a torture.
          Of course it's as slow as your dvd drive. Duh.
          Unless loaded into ram.
          Last edited by Etherman; 18 August 2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Nice. I used Knoppix long ago.
            Linux 5.2 {well, 5.3 would have been even betten for new AMD things - but maybe 5.4 would be a new target} - both 32 and 64 bit also supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks, X.Org 7.7 (core 1.20.4) - but only Mesa 18.3.6, Bash 5.0 ...
            Nice to have a fresher base - but I would have preferred to wait a little to get new HW fully included (mainly Zen2 and Navi) - so an update in a few months would be perfect.
            On debian, using testing and even unstable is common practice and reasonable on the desktop (if one knows what is going on). Ubuntu keeps Firefox and Thunderbird in a fresh version - and I would prefer this for other applications (TeX Live distro, LibreOffice, Gimp, ...), too.
            Knoppix was the 1st Live CD - to test HW, as rescue CD, but can also be installed to HDD and can be made to a full Debian install.
            Are there really people making rescue DVDs in 2019 - even 10 year old HW can boot from USB memory stick ... but the nice thing with Knoppix is - if some desires to do so he can. But CDs and DVDs are tortures - so Knoppix is not to be blamed for old HW being used.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              Knoppix was one of my first exposures to Linux. Still have the CD where it had the option of running with the experimental 2.6 series kernel where you could type knoppix26 at the loader prompt. Also my first exposure to Linux games, loved me some Xgalaga. Remember tinkering with the system doing rm -r / and all kinds of stuff, really cut my teeth on that distro cause all you had to do was reboot and everything was magically fixed and at 15 that was nice.
              I guess we got curious around the same time
              I still remember "knoppix26 lang=uk screen=1024x768"... I think it was something around Knoppix 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                At least Knoppix chose LXDE rather than Gnome. LiveCDs like Fedora which load the whole Gnome DE were unbarable; even with Gnome 2.
                In general "LiveCDs" used to be such an overblown hype; most installers went that route so you had to wait for the whole bloated DE to load before you could install the darn thing.

The most important thing I can see about Knoppix for some people is the "Adriane Audio Desktop". Not many Linux distros (or any other OS) are acceptable for blind people. I can see Knoppix being extremely important here.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

At least Knoppix chose LXDE rather than Gnome. LiveCDs like Fedora which load the whole Gnome DE were unbarable; even with Gnome 2.
                  In general "LiveCDs" used to be such an overblown hype; most installers went that route so you had to wait for the whole bloated DE to load before you could install the darn thing.

The most important thing I can see about Knoppix for some people is the "Adriane Audio Desktop". Not many Linux distros (or any other OS) are acceptable for blind people. I can see Knoppix being extremely important here.
                  2 points on LiveCDs and LiveDVDs:

1. When Knoppix first came out, boot-from-USB drives was less common. So CD or DVD boot was just about the only way to get Linux in front of people without installing. I think that's huge. I was introduced to Linux by friends that had it installed on their actual drives, but the first few times I tried it myself on my own computers I used Knoppix (1.x or 2.x, I think, over fifteen years ago).

(Edit: Nowadays I would always recommend boot-from-USB instead, because LiveDVD is agonizingly slow. But at one point it was the only game in town.)

2. Most of the LiveCD or LiveDVD distributions are designed to gradually entice the user to install. So it makes sense to give the user the same UI on the Live medium that they would get with a full installation. You're just going to confuse and annoy a novice if they see LXDE from the disk and then KDE after install, or similar. So yeah, GNOME 2 or GNOME 3 on a live disk is painfully slow, but it doesn't make sense to do something else if that's what you get after installation.

Comment

Whenever Klaus Knopper generated a new edition, that newest edition of Knoppix used to appear as an add-on DVD to Linux/Linux Pro Magazine.
                    Anyone know if this is still the case, and if so, which one; and when might it appear?
                    There's no indication on LM's website that the 'New Knoppix' DVD is or will be available.

Comment

Working...
                    X