A Third-Party Installer Allows Clear Linux To Run On Microsoft Windows WSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Third-Party Installer Allows Clear Linux To Run On Microsoft Windows WSL

Phoronix: A Third-Party Installer Allows Clear Linux To Run On Microsoft Windows WSL

For more than one year we've been hearing of Clear Linux working on Windows WSL support to allow for this performance-optimized Linux distribution to run within Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux. There isn't an official release yet, but at least now is a third-party installer/script for making it possible to setup such a configuration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am worried about its existence...

Comment

really need to do that sometime soon for our #t2sde – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swZkTnDdqsc

Comment

Slight tangent, but this is for WSL 1 (I assume, but pretty sure) and with the upc0ming WSL 2 depending on Hyper-V, does anyone know the answer to the folowing:

I know enabling Hyper-V conflicts with running VirtualBox. If I remember correctly, just having Hyper-V enabled made running VirtualBox not possible. I use VirtualBox for some things, it would be nice to be able to use both WSL 2 and VirtualBox. I probably don't need them running concurrently at the same time, but I'd hate having to disable Hyper-V as needed by WSL 2 every time I needed to run VirtualBox.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

Seeing how WSL works, I can't see Clear Linux making up for any performance shortcomings, just simply running WSL incrementally faster than Ubuntu et al. at best.

As for the coexistence of Hyper-V and Virtual Box, Hyper-V supports nesting now, but I haven't tested it with VBox myself.

Learn about Nested Virtualization in Hyper-V, including what it is, how it works, and supported scenarios.

Comment

Windows is slow; why not run Linux with windows in a VM instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaython View Post
              Because passthrough of GPU sucks, and this means the VM will be limited, so you can't run all WIndows software.

We need GPUs to implement hardware virtualization extensions similar to what CPUs did with Intel VT-x and AMD "secure virtualization" support, or some pretty advanced GPU emulation for the VM.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                Slight tangent, but this is for WSL 1 (I assume, but pretty sure) and with the upc0ming WSL 2 depending on Hyper-V, does anyone know the answer to the folowing:

I know enabling Hyper-V conflicts with running VirtualBox. If I remember correctly, just having Hyper-V enabled made running VirtualBox not possible. I use VirtualBox for some things, it would be nice to be able to use both WSL 2 and VirtualBox. I probably don't need them running concurrently at the same time, but I'd hate having to disable Hyper-V as needed by WSL 2 every time I needed to run VirtualBox.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
                Afaik you should be able to switch Virtualbox to use HyperV as a backend for virtualization from VB version 6 onwards, so you should be able to run it. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
                Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance

also here in their forum with some more info and instructions https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90853

Comment

Originally posted by Chaython View Post
                  obviously that is what every sane (and secure) user / developer would do ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyclA-_M-aA

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Because passthrough of GPU sucks, and this means the VM will be limited, so you can't run all WIndows software.

We need GPUs to implement hardware virtualization extensions similar to what CPUs did with Intel VT-x and AMD "secure virtualization" support, or some pretty advanced GPU emulation for the VM.
                    actually Intel implemented this with igvt-g, and you probably could implement such context switching and state tracking in any GPU driver. Just that those modern GPUs are so horrendously over complex that it is not fun to write driver, and even less so to write a a secure virtualisation and context switching state tracker, ...

Comment

Working...
                    X