Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Released - Switches To Using 19.04's Linux 5.0 HWE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Released - Switches To Using 19.04's Linux 5.0 HWE

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS Released - Switches To Using 19.04's Linux 5.0 HWE

Canonical has announced the immediate availability of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS as the newest update to this long-term support series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The wiki page says:
    The 18.04 kernel delivers new features inherited from upstream, including:
    • New default networking queue management algorithms to improve networking on slow and congested links
    Do someone mean what do they mean exaclty?

Comment

I'm still seeing 4.15 on desktop and server, I guess one must explicitly ask apt for one of the 18 linux-image-5* options but which one?

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
        I'm still seeing 4.15 on desktop and server, I guess one must explicitly ask apt for one of the 18 linux-image-5* options but which one?

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
          The wiki page says:

Comment

IIRC HWE is enabled by default on 18.04.1+ , but if you initially installed 18.04 you must opt-in.

EDIT: See anarki2's link for how to enable it.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
              The wiki page says:

It is referring to the CAKE algorithm.

Comment

Thanks, odd that 0 of the LTS from kernel.org are supported by Ubuntu.

Comment

Not particularly surprising since both Ubuntu and RHEL maintain their own kernels with many additional patches which aren't official Linux kernels.

RHEL 6 - 2.6.32
                  RHEL 7 - 3.10
                  RHEL 8 - 4.18

Ubuntu 14.04 - 3.13 (3.16 3.19 4.2)
                  Ubuntu 16.04 - 4.4 (4.8 4.10 4.13)
                  Ubuntu 18.04 - 4.15 (4.18 5.0)

Comment

They support 4.4 with 16.04. It'll be supported for 4 years longer than the current 4.19 LTS release. Granted that those have passed their (Ubuntu's) extended support cutoff line (April '18) and are only receiving exploit fixes & critical updates anymore so that's kind of moot.

Their 4.15 team must be porting a lot of stuff from 4.14 or 4.19 or something...makes no sense to use it otherwise.

Looking at the release and EOL dates of the other LTS kernels, 4.19 should be called a semi-LTS kernel.

Comment

Working...
                    X