Manjaro Moving Ahead With Snap Support, Bundling Proprietary FreeOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I like how people are okay with (or even happy about) distros adding Steam support by default. For those of you that have forgotten, Steam is proprietary.

But the moment it goes to something else like improving compatibility with Microsoft Office, people get their panties in a twist. Hypocrites.
    How does bundling software that makes you pay to save as a .doc or .ppt improve compatibility ?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      I like how people are okay with (or even happy about) distros adding Steam support by default. For those of you that have forgotten, Steam is proprietary.
      This isn't about adding support, but bundling it on a default install.

How many distros install Steam by default?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Why not OnlyOffice? Is free and opensource and in my opinion - one of the best compatibile with MS Office formats.
        In my opinion WPS Office (preprietary) and OnlyOffice provide the best compatibility.
        OnlyOffice had problems with tables and a few other things in my docx documents. WPS, FreeOffice and Sotfmaker Office (paid version of FreeOffice) had no such problems. Also, FreeOffice/Softmaker Office looks a bit better and uses less system resources. Plus FreeOffice/Softmaker Office has been around since 1984, so it's way more mature.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I'm wondering why this FreeOffice is free to use for both home and businness use. Where are they racking in the cash?
          The cash comes from the paid version. And they have been selling since 1984, so it's not like they're short on cash. But even so, they can offer the free version because there's a paid version.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            I was worried about them trying to monetize their users in other ways.
            They're German, so they wouldn't even consider doing the evil monetizing stuff.

Comment

My problem with this FreeOffice bundle is that it has tons of missing features compared to LibreOffice and the paid Softmaker Office.

It's apparently crippled and if I'm reading right, it wont let you save in older Office formats and doesn't even have spell check.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                I rarely need an office suite in the first place, and there are organizations that rely on web solutions.
                Good for you, but I need a desktop client because:
                -Google Docs sucks. A LOT.
                -MS Word Online is pretty good interface-wise, but it can't even open half of my docx documents (which is strange, given the fact that it's their own format!) and when it does open a document, it messes up the layout every now and then and every document with more than 5 pages is excruciatingly slow to navigate and type in, and sometimes tables are a PITA to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  They're German, so they wouldn't even consider doing the evil monetizing stuff.
                  Are Germans all good?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Google Docs sucks. A LOT.
                    Yes. aa

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                      My problem with this FreeOffice bundle is that it has tons of missing features compared to LibreOffice and the paid Softmaker Office.

It's apparently crippled and if I'm reading right, it wont let you save in older Office formats and doesn't even have spell check.
                      It misses some features that the paid version has, but it does have spell check. The spell check in the paid version, however, is more advanced (esp. for Germans).

Comment

Working...
                      X