Manjaro Moving Ahead With Snap Support, Bundling Proprietary FreeOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro Moving Ahead With Snap Support, Bundling Proprietary FreeOffice

Phoronix: Manjaro Moving Ahead With Snap Support, Bundling Proprietary FreeOffice

Arch-based Linux distribution Manjaro has issued their newest testing update with some controversial changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why not OnlyOffice? Is free and opensource and in my opinion - one of the best compatibile with MS Office formats.
    In my opinion WPS Office (preprietary) and OnlyOffice provide the best compatibility.

Comment

Controversial choices...

One of the most funny part is all these desktop distros are focused only on new users, but this is a ephemeral effort, after a while new users will move toward other distros that are better balanced for an advanced use. The more those try to be easier the more those will lose, sooner or later, their users...

Comment

Snap is just not anywhere near as good as flatpak, especially in theming and speeds (particularly on a non-ubuntu system). And what's wrong with libreoffice? Sure, for more advanced word documents, there are some rendering issues, but it's perfectly capable even with those issues. If the user needs something better, than they can install it itself. This reminds me of their terrible choice of implementing that web-microsoft word shortcut into manjaro.

Comment

Moving long time ago to Fedora.

Comment

In other news, Manjaro testing has moved to the Xfce 4.14-pre3 release, many Haswell updates have landed...
            I think you meant Haskell.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              Controversial choices...

One of the most funny part is all these desktop distros are focused only on new users, but this is a ephemeral effort, after a while new users will move toward other distros that are better balanced for an advanced use. The more those try to be easier the more those will lose, sooner or later, their users...
              Not everyone walks the path of the IT master, many are just content to use a decent OS.

Also, it's not like there is a shortage of new people that can be lured into using this evil OS called Lunix.

Comment

I'm wondering why this FreeOffice is free to use for both home and businness use. Where are they racking in the cash?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Not everyone walks the path of the IT master, many are just content to use a decent OS.

Also, it's not like there is a shortage of new people that can be lured into using this evil OS called Lunix.
                  I am not talking about being an IT, I am talking about unleashing the true potential of GNU/Linux which is a combination of expertise with specific GNU (GUI) applications and the command lines. People switch to other distros when reach this point otherwise come back to Win or macOS which are better suited for new users.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    I am not talking about being an IT, I am talking about unleashing the true potential of GNU/Linux which is a combination of expertise with specific GNU (GUI) applications and the command lines. People switch to other distros when reach this point otherwise come back to Win or macOS which are better suited for new users.
                    You are not making much sense. Why are you assuming everyone would need to "unleash the true potential of GNU/Linux" at all, and why would people turn back to Win/Mac if they are fine with what can be done with a basic-user-oriented distro.

Many people just need the PC to browse the internet, run music/videos, and write documents or use spreadsheets.

Notwithstanding that Manjaro is one of the best distros for people that want to customize their system thoroughly if they feel like so it's a very good distro for people that are "unleashing the true potential of GNU/Linux".

Comment

Working...
                    X