Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Development Continues With Latest GNOME Updates, ZFS, Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by down1 View Post
    Looking forward for the gnome performance improvements. I recently discovered why performance on my laptop was so depressing, turns out the intel p_state driver is very reluctant to go above 800mhz when on battery power.
    In my opinion P-State is worse than CPUFreq:

- It feels like a "CPUFreq Lite". You only have 2 governors: powersave and performance.
    - Powersave is misleading: it does not force the lowest clock but only leans towards it.
    - It is impossible to set a custom speed.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      winter is coming
      it's winter here already

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        In my opinion P-State is worse than CPUFreq:

- It feels like a "CPUFreq Lite". You only have 2 governors: powersave and performance.
        - Powersave is misleading: it does not force the lowest clock but only leans towards it.
        - It is impossible to set a custom speed.
        - powersave is suppose to be the equivalent of 'ondemand' in cpufreq, but I haven't tried cpufreq so I can't say how that feels
        - it is very easy to set a custom min or max speed and toggle turbo boost on/off. You just need to pipe values into the correct place or install a gnome extension to do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by nivedita View Post

Does the energy performance bias knob help?
          Yes, the "performance" setting fixed the problem also. But I didn't want to run the laptop in performance mode all the time, and I didn't want to keep changing the setting back and fourth. So, just increasing the minimum percentage for powersave mode seemed to be my best option.

Comment

The energy performance bias doesn’t force it into performance mode permanently. It tells the chip to more aggressively ramp up frequencies than a balanced profile.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

it's winter here already
              same here

Comment

The wayland blockers for Ubuntu's LTS are fundamental: for instance, they won't default to Wayland if a compositor crash kills the session (according to will Cooke). That's impossible to fix in gnome 3. So X will be around for a long time yet.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post
                  The wayland blockers for Ubuntu's LTS are fundamental: for instance, they won't default to Wayland if a compositor crash kills the session (according to will Cooke). That's impossible to fix in gnome 3. So X will be around for a long time yet.
                  Clearly RH and Debian both have faith in it, but then extensions tend to be the reason for crashing.

Comment

Working...
                  X