Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Development Continues With Latest GNOME Updates, ZFS, Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10 Development Continues With Latest GNOME Updates, ZFS, Optimizations

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 Development Continues With Latest GNOME Updates, ZFS, Optimizations

Two months from today marks the beta and kernel freezes for the Ubuntu 19.10 release while in less than one month is already the feature freeze. Canonical developers and others within the Ubuntu community remain quite busy this summer working on this "Eoan Ermine" release and is of particular importance with next cycle being the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS swing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward for the gnome performance improvements. I recently discovered why performance on my laptop was so depressing, turns out the intel p_state driver is very reluctant to go above 800mhz when on battery power.

Edit: further research suggests this maybe the dell hardware. Not the Intel driver.
    Last edited by down1; 28 July 2019, 06:29 AM.

Comment

I'd love to see them enabling Wayland by default so it can go in 20.04. Unfortunately there's still this one big blocker around multi-monitor performance, which most probably will not get resolved in time for 3.34. I see good chances for 3.36, but that's probably too late for 20.04.

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post
        Looking forward for the gnome performance improvements. I recently discovered why performance on my laptop was so depressing, turns out the intel p_state driver is very reluctant to go above 800mhz when on battery power.
        Powersave mode?

Comment

winter is coming

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
            I'd love to see them enabling Wayland by default so it can go in 20.04. Unfortunately there's still this one big blocker around multi-monitor performance, which most probably will not get resolved in time for 3.34. I see good chances for 3.36, but that's probably too late for 20.04.
            Won't happen until 20.10: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ault-20.04-LTS
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What kernel versions will be available?

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

Powersave mode?
                yes it's the powersave governor, I can override by hand it but better performance is better performance.

Comment

I'm interested in what other distributions will do with Zsys. It'll suck if everyone decides to handle ZFS in their own way and not coming to an agreement on a basic set of standards in regards to install locations and whatnot. Ideally they'll agree to something like tank/ubuntu/ubuntu_stuff so we could do tank/suse and tank/debian on the same pool.

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post

yes it's the powersave governor, I can override by hand it but better performance is better performance.
                    iom, 'on demand' is still the best mode.
                    you can make the mode of your choice permanent...

Comment

Working...
                    X